Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

How do I update my garmin?

Customer Question

How do I update my garmin?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The AGE of the device?

2) What is the operational condition of the device (is is working well)?
3) Has it EVER been updated in the past?

Thanks

Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

I didn't see a response from my last post earlier today, but I wanted to send the following information before I take an afternoon/evening break.

IF your device is still in working condition, and you want to update it, including the device software and perhaps the maps, there are a few things you will need.
1) A USB cable to connect the device to your computer.
2) A software program called Garmin Express, which you can get HERE.
http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html
3) If you want to update the maps, there is a chance that you will need to expand the memory with a 4GB or 8GB (Maximum) microSD card.

Once you have all these things, you will want to:
1) Download and install the Garmin Express program (from link above).
2) Run the program, and connect the device to your computer (via the USB cable) when requested by the program.
3) Update the unit software FIRST, and then TEST that it works properly with the new software.
4) Once the device is TESTED, and if you want to update the maps, install the microSD card in the device and verify that the card is seen by the computer.
5) If the card is seen by the computer, run Garmin Express again, and it should offer to update the maps for you.

NOTE: Updating maps can take a LONG time, depending on the speed or your internet connection and computer.

If you need a microSD card, they can either be purchased at a local electronics or computer shop, or online (see Amazon search results below).

8GB SD card SEARCH >>Click Here<<

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this question.
You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.

Take Care & Travel Safe, Greg A.

(im)

Expert:  Greg A. replied 11 months ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)