Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

My garmin is a nuvi 2350 LMT. The map update notice is on

Customer Question

My garmin is a nuvi 2350 LMT. The map update notice is on but it won't turn off or do anything. I've tried to update maps but computer keeps saying it can't locate device.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) The AGE of the device?

2) WHEN this issue first began?

3) If you have an "OK" button on map update notice, can you tell me what happens if you touch and HOLD on that button?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know. Prob. 4 or 5 yrs. It began a couple hours ago when I was gonna update maps. Nothing happens when I hold down the button. It just stays lit up
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - let's try a SOFT reset to start, and see if we can get that message of the screen. Then we will address the issue of the device not being seen by the computer (if needed).

To do a soft reset, make sure the device is disconnect from ALL connections (no power adapter or connection to the computer).

Then, with the device powered ON, push and HOLD the power switch for AT LEAST 15 seconds, even if the device screen switches off.

After that hold, power the device back on (while still disconnected from power), and see if that screen still comes up, and if so, if you can touch the button and get it to disappear.

Let me know what happens.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok it's doing ok but it wouldn't earlier. I still don't know if I can get to update though.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - if we have that update message off the screen, the device MAY now be visible to the computer.

So let me ask what happens when you connect the device to the computer - via the USB cable?

Does the device screen CHANGE - to show an icon where a device is connected to a "computer" (box)?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No nothing is different on device
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - did you leave the device ON the main screen - while connecting to the computer via USB cable?

If so, can you tell me if the BATTERY icon is still there, and if there is a "charge indicator" on top of that icon?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did leave it on while connecting to computer. I hate to be so stupid but where is the battery icon?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

No worries.

It should be at the top right of the MAIN screen of the device.

I will see if I have an image I can send.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - I have attached an image from one of my similar devices, showing the batter icon at the top right - and the "charge indicator" above it.

NOTE: You may have to click the file name to see the image.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On top right it has "Points of interest"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Greg, on the screen where it has Where To and View Map there is a small green icon that looks like "lightning stricking" lol. Is that what you're talking about?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Yes, that is the icon. Is that what you have?

Also, is the USB cable connected DIRECTLY to the computer you are using - and NOT a "hub" or other USB port (like on a monitor)?

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Did we get disconnected from earlier?

Please let me know if you had success or if you have any more questions.

If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this question.
You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them (you may have to scroll UP or DOWN) or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)