Richard, Customer Service
Experience:  Avid repairer and trouble shooter of GPS devices and systems
32989067

It worked fine, now wont power up with new batteries

Customer Question

it worked fine, now wont power up with new batteries
Category: GPS
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you tell me please the make and model of the device?

Please let me know

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a Magellan Explorist GC. A geocaching specific GPS. I just looked at the internal power connections. The board is clean, no signs of corrosion. Power connector appears to be clean and tight as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've verified 3.08 VDC to circuit board from fresh Duracell batteries. From my web searches this seems to be a prevalent problem with this model. I have tried several reset sequences but still nothing. I treated the thing like glass. It hasn't been even dropped much less abused. It just seems odd that after months in a drawer it turned into a brick.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Ok, it is not showing any signs of life at all? Not even the splash screen comes up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No response at all. No chirp, buzz, vibrate and not so much as a blip on the display. That's why I suspected power or power button.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, remove the batteries then hold the power button down for 60 seconds then release.

Wait 5 minutes, put the batteries back in and try to turn it on.

Let me know the results please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Reassembling now.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still nothing. Looks like I'm wasting your time. Pretty sure I have a brick here.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

You do, there is not much else to be done if your 100% sure the batteries are ok.

It is either the power supply on the board inside (voltage regulator) or the power button. Usually the internal power supply

you will need to have it replaced sorry, getting it repaired is not an option as it costs more to repair then replace.

If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you