Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

Can not load update to Garmin Nuvi 260 because I have a SD

Customer Question

Can not load update to Garmin Nuvi 260 because I have a SD card, no cables to connect to computer. How do you update?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

May I ask:

1) what is on the SD card (pre-loaded maps perhaps)?

2) What is the operational state of the device (does it still work well and have good battery life)?

3) Do you have an electronics or computer store relatively close by?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The original SD card, preloaded maps
Device work well
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you still there?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I'm still here, but my computer screen was locked up.

I have to restart my browser - back soon.

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - got restarted.

So let me be clear about the SD card contents.

Is that where the OLD maps are installed?

AND

Do you have ANY place locally - where you could purchase a USB cable to connect the device to the computer?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
old maps were originally installed on card
No place locally to purchase USB cable w/o a drive
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for information.

OK - can you tell me what maps you currently have (coverage area) and if that is the same area you need for updates?

And would having a card that contains the newer versions work for you - to be "shipped" (delivered)? In other words, are you in a "challenging area" when it comes to getting mail or packages?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
US maps...No challenging area to receive mail but I have already paid for the downloaded map. I found a USB cable ...Thak you
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

OK - if you found a USB cable, you should now be able to download those maps - onto the current SD card.

But I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you backup (copy) the contents of that old map card to your computer - in a folder of its own - BEFORE doing the download.

NOTE: Purchased downloads are actually good for a 1 year period, assuming this was a "one-time" update purchase.

After you backup your SD card, you should be able to do the update using the Garmin Express program (which you may already have).

So have you connected your device to the computer yet, and if so, does the computer "see" the device - when connected?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it found the devise and currently downloading.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Excellent!

Please let me know if you have any more issue OR questions about the process.

I also want to send along my recommended checks and process - so you will have it.

NOTES:

- Where is says "optional" for the SD card, that is really REQUIRED in this case.

- Don't stop your process - now that it is started, but just "keep going" for as long as it can (maps can be VERY large, and download + install can take an hour or more).

- Some of this stuff you already have or have done.

===========================

Here are the "big picture" steps that need to be done to update your device.

Items Needed:
1) WORKING device (it sounds like you have that)

2) A USB cable. These usually have a "Mini-B" connector on the Nuvi side, and an "A" connector on the computer side. But just take the device with you to get the right cable. If the connector "fits", you should be good.

3) OPTIONAL (but recommended), An SD card of either 4GB or 8GB capacity (8GB MAXIMUM). This is so that your device can hold ALL of the maps for your coverage area (assuming that is what you want).

4) Software: Garmin Express is the current program that allows you to UPDATE the device software AND purchase maps - all in one package. You do NOT have purchase Garmin Express, you can get it for your computer at the following link --> Click here.

Now for the steps.
1) FULLY charge up your Nuvi (for AT LEAST 2 hours).

2) While charging, go ahead and download & install Garmin Express on your computer. But do NOT connect the device until it is FULLY charged. You can RUN Garmin Express at any time, but just make sure the device is charged before attaching to the USB cable.

3) Once charged, if you have the OPTIONAL SD card, go ahead and insert it into the slot of the device. Don't force it, but it should go all the way in easily.

4) Run Garmin Express (again if needed) and connect the device via the USB cable when asked. Then WAIT for the device to be seen (usually seen in less than a minute).

5) First thing to do is update the Unit Software ONLY. Do NOT update the maps yet. After the Unit software updates, WAIT 1 full minute, then remove the device from the USB cable and TEST that all the functions still work. Take as long as you need to do this, but 30-60 minutes should be enough to TEST all the features.

6) Once satisfied the device is still working, now you can run Garmin Express (again), and look at the Map Updates that are offered. If you have the SD card installed, any North America updates you choose should fit and be installed on that card. Again, WAIT a FULL minute after the program says it is OK to removed the device - before physically removing it from the USB cable. Then reboot and TEST again.

======================

That's the process I recommend. Please let me know if that all works for you or if you have any more questions.

If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this question.
You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)