Please let me know if you have any more issue OR questions about the process.
I also want to send along my recommended checks and process - so you will have it.
- Where is says "optional" for the SD card, that is really REQUIRED in this case.
- Don't stop your process - now that it is started, but just "keep going" for as long as it can (maps can be VERY large, and download + install can take an hour or more).
- Some of this stuff you already have or have done.
Here are the "big picture" steps that need to be done to update your device.
1) WORKING device (it sounds like you have that)
2) A USB cable. These usually have a "Mini-B" connector on the Nuvi side, and an "A" connector on the computer side. But just take the device with you to get the right cable. If the connector "fits", you should be good.
3) OPTIONAL (but recommended), An SD card of either 4GB or 8GB capacity (8GB MAXIMUM). This is so that your device can hold ALL of the maps for your coverage area (assuming that is what you want).
4) Software: Garmin Express is the current program that allows you to UPDATE the device software AND purchase maps - all in one package. You do NOT have purchase Garmin Express, you can get it for your computer at the following link --> Click here.
Now for the steps.
1) FULLY charge up your Nuvi (for AT LEAST 2 hours).
2) While charging, go ahead and download & install Garmin Express on your computer. But do NOT connect the device until it is FULLY charged. You can RUN Garmin Express at any time, but just make sure the device is charged before attaching to the USB cable.
3) Once charged, if you have the OPTIONAL SD card, go ahead and insert it into the slot of the device. Don't force it, but it should go all the way in easily.
4) Run Garmin Express (again if needed) and connect the device via the USB cable when asked. Then WAIT for the device to be seen (usually seen in less than a minute).
5) First thing to do is update the Unit Software ONLY. Do NOT update the maps yet. After the Unit software updates, WAIT 1 full minute, then remove the device from the USB cable and TEST that all the functions still work. Take as long as you need to do this, but 30-60 minutes should be enough to TEST all the features.
6) Once satisfied the device is still working, now you can run Garmin Express (again), and look at the Map Updates that are offered. If you have the SD card installed, any North America updates you choose should fit and be installed on that card. Again, WAIT a FULL minute after the program says it is OK to removed the device - before physically removing it from the USB cable. Then reboot and TEST again.
That's the process I recommend. Please let me know if that all works for you or if you have any more questions.
If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this question.
You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them or can not use them.
Thanks, ***** *****