Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I have a nuvi 3590 gps ,will not come on wind plug in to

Customer Question

I have a nuvi 3590 gps ,will not come on wind plug in to auto or wall ,what could be the problem,how much to have it fixer
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:
1) The AGE of the device?
2) WHEN was this device last used successfully?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 to 3 yrs old,6mos.ago
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again and thanks for that.

May I ask for HOW LONG the device was connected to either of the power sources?

I only ask because there is an internal battery that needs to charge up a bit.

Thanks

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I don't have a phone line free right this minute, but may be able to call in a few minutes.

In the mean time, may I ask HOW LONG the device was connected to either of the power sources?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok,the last time I USED IT ,I UNPLUGGED IT AND STORED IN MY GLOVE BOX,MAY8 MOS.AGO
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - very good.

So when you connected it to power RECENTLY (like today), HOW LONG was the device connected to THAT power source - before you tried to power it up?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hasn't been charged in 6 mos. could that be the problem, I THROUGH JUST PLUGING IT IN WOULD MAKE IT COME ON ,OR DOES IT HAVE TO CHARGE UP FIRST.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Yes, the device does need AT LEAST 30 minutes or so - to charge the internal battery. This would be especially true if it has been left without power for a few months or more.

So please connect it to power for at least that long, and then try to power it up and let me know if that gets it going again (it should).

Please let me know what happens.

And if this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this question.
You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

If the device does NOT power up after this charge time of AT LEAST 30 minutes, I would disconnect the device from power, try to power it up again by pushing and HOLDING the power button (while NOT connected to power), and see if it comes on that way.

If not, reconnect to power and leave it on the charger for another 30-60 minutes, then try again.

If you find that the screen does NOT come on AT ALL, the battery may be bad (fully discharged), and would need to be replaced.

Luckily, replacement battery kits (battery & tools) can be found online and SOMETIMES at a local battery store, where you can replace the battery for a reasonable cost. I have a link to a search I did on Amazon for the battery kit below.

Nuvi 3590 Battery Replacement Kit (search Results)
http://amzn.to/1Sd3xof

I also have a link to a video that shows how to get the case open and replace the battery.

3590 Battery Replacement Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGlqOLE-N7Q

NOTE: I also checked on the cost of repair - via Garmin's repair center, and the current quote is about $130.

Hopefully these alternate solutions are not needed, and a longer charge time will get you going.

Please let me know what happens - when you can.

Thanks, ***** *****

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)