Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I have 2 active registered Garmins: A nüvi® 2757LM and a

Customer Question

I have 2 active registered Garmins: A nüvi® 2757LM and a nüvi® 1490LMT and 2 questions: 1) Can upgraded software for either one "memorize" a preferred route to a given destination? When I pick a saved destination, the 2757LM always tries to route me via a route that the roads do not exist. Also: 2) My "home" is in the wrong place on the street according to the street number -- if I were to use the (correct) GPS coordinates, the street number is ***** in a different place (GPS coordinates) from where your database thinks it is. So, how do I submit corrected data so you can correct your database? Thanks in advance for a meaningful and prompt reply.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issues you are having with your devices.

To help you with these questions, may I ask:

1) HOW LONG you have had these devices?

2) HOW OFTEN have you used them in the past?

Typical responses are: daily, weekly, monthly, only when on a long trip, once a year, etc.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
FWIW: I've had these devices for several years, but update the devices at least 3-4 times per year. I use the devices daily (i.e. 5-7 days a week).
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again and thanks for that information - that is exactly what I needed to know.

OK - for question 1 about ""a preferred route", BOTH of these devices have what is referred to either a "Trip Planner" or "multi-point routing system" - that allows you to create (and save) "routes" that include multiple "stops" or locations along the way.

As a reference, I have two video links below that show how to use this feature - for each device.

Nuvi 2757LMT --> How to use the Trip Planner

Nuvi 1490LMT --> Route setup on Nuvi

Please take a look at one (or both) of those videos and let me know if you have ever used this advance feature of either device.

Once you respond, I will send details about question 2.

Thanks, ***** *****

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I have to go out for a bit, but wanted to send the following for question 2 - before I go.

About "Map Errors" concerning addresses and such NOT matching your physical location.

First, you need to know that Garmin (and most other GPS manufacturers) get the DETAILED information for the maps from independent "Data Companies", and these companies gather and compile that data on an ongoing basis.

For addresses specifically, MOST of that information is gathered from city, county, or even state generated information - such as the "traffic departments" of each entity.
Often, this address data is NOT very detailed, as it may have been generated when the streets or roads were first built, and it may not have EVER been updated at all (unless you send information in - that it is not correct).

For example, a particular street may start at address 1000 where it intersects with one road, and the next intersection is where address 2000 starts.
So if there is NO data generated (or updated) for the address numbers in between, and a house built a year or so later is built exactly in the center of that road (between the two cross-streets), then that address might be "assigned" a number of 1500 (or 1501 if on the other side of the road). But if the city or town assigns a different number (sometimes at the request of the business or developer), and does not record and update that information for months - or even years - then the GPS data used for that address will be wrong when used as an address that is entered into the device.

So the best way that you can "report" ANY map errors is to send it in to the company of the device you use most, so that it can be verified and fed back to the data company that supplies the manufacturer of the device.
NOTE: When you do this, try to be as detailed as possible - to make it "easier" for the company to check it and send it to their supplier.
Once that is done, then it just a matter of time before that correction gets put into the device,
Another note: At present, Garmin usually gets updated map data 3-4 times each year - from their supplier. So it could be 3-6 months (or MORE) before you have a chance to see your correction data show up in your device,

Below is a direct link to where you can report errors to Garmin.

Report a Map Error Page
https://my.garmin.com/mapErrors/report.faces

I hope this helps explain a bit about how this data is generated and use by the makers of these devices. Please let me know if you have any more questions.

If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this question.
You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I didn't see any response back from last evening, and just wanted to let know that I'm back on today - if you have any more questions.

Thanks

(im)

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)