Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I can't get my Forerunner 910xt to talk to my computer - the

Customer Question

Hi. I can't get my Forerunner 910xt to talk to my computer - the ANT stick won't pick it up.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

How old is the watch?

Do you have a firewall enabled on the computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hiits a refurbed device that I got from Garmin as a replacement a couple of weeks ago, in an attempt to fix this problem. It didn't work!Yes I have Norton 360 running. But turning the firewall off doesn't seem to make any difference.here's the list of things I've tried already, as instructed by Garmin support:Try a different USB Port.
Uninstall Garmin ANT Agent (if applicable). Garmin ANT Agent is not compatible with Garmin Express and can cause issues during the sync process:
http://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/simpleCase.htm?caseId={08b95660-e560-11e0-73d0-000000000000}&kbName=garmin
Update Garmin Express: http://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/simpleCase.htm?caseId={bf0bf6f0-4277-11e2-e8a7-000000000000}&kbName=garmin
If you do not have Garmin Express installed please install it, using the following link: How do I install Garmin Express on the computer?
Restart the computer:
Restarting the computer closes and re-opens any background services running on the computer. This can resolve a variety of issues.
Windows 8 / 8.1 - NOTE - Shutting down, pressing the power button, or closing the lid does not effectively restart a Windows 8 computer. These actions hibernate the computer. To ensure background services are restarted, restart the computer according to the instructions in this Microsoft FAQ.
Verify that the ANT Stick is being read by the computer:
http://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/simpleCase.htm?caseId=%7b63ecd550-27ef-11e4-eaba-000000000000%7d&kbName=garmin
Ensure that the date, time and time zone are correct on the computer
An incorrect date, time or time zone can cause Garmin Express to have issues communicating with Garmin Connect. Follow the instructions below for the computer operating system:
Windows Vista
Windows 7
Windows 8 / 8.1
Mac OS X
Ensure that the display name, username, and email address are present and correct
Open Garmin Express
Select the device if necessary
Click the Garmin Connect pod
Select the User icon from the menu on the left
Click Settings
Click Account Information
Verify that the username and email address are present and correct
Click Connect Profile
Verify that a display name is ***** ***** does not contain spaces or any of the following characters: ?'`":;#%^&=|~/[]{},*()@
Clear the Sync Queue in Connect
Clearing the Sync Queue can help determine whether items are failing to sync from the device or failing to be transferred to the device from Connect.
From your Garmin Connect account:
Select the Sync Queue icon from the menu on the left
Click the X for each item in the queue to remove it, then Remove to confirm
Remove FIT files that fail to sync:
Garmin Express stores activity files in a folder on the computer before uploading them to Garmin Connect. After a successful upload, the files are deleted from this folder. If a file contains data that Garmin Connect cannot import, the activity will fail to appear in the account and the file may remain in the folder.
Files that will not upload automatically should be manually deleted to ensure Garmin Express successfully syncs future activities.
To delete these files from the computer:
Windows:
Press the Windows key + R
Type %ProgramData% in the box
Click OK
Open the Garmin folder
Open the CoreService folder
Open the Devices folder
Open the folder with the 10 digit Unit ID for your device (this can be found on the About screen on the device if there are multiple folders present)
Right-click the Sync folder
Click Delete
Mac OS X:
Open Finder
Click Go from the menu bar
Hold down the Option key on the keyboard
Click Library, then release the Option key
Open the Application Support folder
Open the Garmin folder
Open the Express folder
Open the RegisteredDevices folder
Drag the PendingSyncUploads folder to the Trash
Empty the Trash
Delete Old Activities (on device)
Mode
History
Delete
Old Activities (those older than 30 days)
Yes
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again, I apologize for the delay, it seems I missed the notification of your reply.

Lets try hard reset. Please note that a hard reset deletes any inputted user data and puts your settings back to factory defaults.

To perform the master reset:

1. Power Forerunner off
  2. Press and hold Mode and Enter buttons
  3. Press and release Power button (still holding Mode and Enter)

Release Mode and Enter once Power is released

Then try and reconnect the device to the computer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Didn't work. Didn't think it would, as the device was new (to me at least) only about two weeks ago, and it hasn't connected at all since I've had it.Any more ideas?Thanks.
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 1 year ago.

Alright, what internet browser are you using? Do you have other ones installed?

You said this device is new to you, where did you purchase it if you don't mind me asking. Sometimes purchasing it from third parties such as eBay, the device isn't fully tested and may have had this fault before you purchased it.

Also check to make sure you have the latest version of Garmin Communicator Plugin installed. This is required for your device to communicate between the computer and Garmin Connect site. You can find the download here: http://software.garmin.com/en-US/gcp-faq.html