Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

How can I get my eXplorist 300 repaired? It only gives me

Customer Question

How can I get my eXplorist 300 repaired? It only gives me the compass. It won't go to the menu.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you may have with your device.

In order to help with this issue, may I ask:

1) the AGE of the device

2) WHEN the device was last used successfully?

3) When this issue first began, or was noticed?

Thanks

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I checked on repair for these units, and found that they are too old and no longer to be repaired - at least by Magellan.

BUT, I did find a few used units of this model listed on Amazon, by private sellers. I have a link to the search results below.

eXplorist 300 listed on Amazon (Used only, 3rd party sellers)
http://amzn.to/1KBTjrw

You may also want to check for newer Explorist models, using the link below.

Magellan Explorist search results
http://amzn.to/1KBTvqF

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think it is a ripoff to pay $25 to find where I can get a product of Magellan repaired. I will try to buy some other brand of GPS.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Please understand that we experts here are independent people and are not tied to any particular brand of device. I personally like Garmin devices, but have used other name brands too.

It was your question of "How can I get my eXplorist 300 repaired?" that drove my recommendations and research.

Finding that the device is about 15 years old, and knowing the cost of diagnosing and repair at a typical independent electronics & GPS shop (~$100 plus), it would be more cost effective to replace the device - with either 1) a "used" but working device of the same type OR 2) a newer model of the same brand and with similar features, depending on your preferences. That is what the links above lead to (used and new eXplorist devices).

TIP: You can also use online stores (like Amazon) to search for other brands (or no brand) of GPS devices. For example, I just did a search on Amazon for "hiking GPS", and have a link to the results below.

http://amzn.to/20inGPo

You could do a similar search for "hunting GPS" or "boating GPS", depending on how you most want to use the device - to refine the results.

I highly encourage you to research and buy whatever brand of device you believe best suits your needs.

NOTE: It is the knowledge, experience, troubleshooting skills, and recommendations that any deposit here is for. And we experts here are not paid unless you rate the advice we give at a higher level (good or above).

If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this question.
You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them or can not use them.

And if you have more questions, please feel free to ask. I'm here almost every day to help.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)