Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

I have a handheld Oregon 650. I gathered waypoints and

Customer Question

I have a handheld Oregon 650. I gathered waypoints and downloaded them on base camp after I returned home. I then took the coordinates from base camp then put them on Google Earth. I agreed with all the data. Then I took the coordinates from the 650 and put those on Google Earth. The latter points differed from the former points by around 200 m. What is going on? I must have the wrong map datum in the 650 but I can't figure out how to change whatever is there. I have been using the 650 constantly and this is the only time that there has been a problem.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.

First before anything else Garmin and Google both have their own maps so no matter what they are going to be slightly different, they are not the same they each have their own satellites.

Because of that their data will always be a little different. As for updating, Download and install Garmin express from here: Click Here
Once installed and your Garmin is connected to the computer it will detect it and show available updates.
If you have any questions at all reply and let me know.

If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating by clicking the stars/smileys for my help - it is greatly appreciated.

Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Garmin.