Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Giving Directions to wayward GPS devices for over a decade. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I can't seem to enter a new address my garmn nuvi. It keeps

Customer Question

I can't seem to enter a new address my garmn nuvi. It keeps saying address not found.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

What State or Country is it you are trying to enter?

Was the Nuvi working for you previously, or is this the first time you have tried to use it?

Also , have you updated the software or maps lately?

Thank you,

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Trying to enter an address in Kansas.I had this problem before but thought I had figured it out. Now I can't remember what I did when trying to enter a new address and keep it from saying address not found.No, because I'm not sure how to update the software.Thanks, Linda
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Linda..Im very familiar with this specific issue.

Many times we can fix this issue by reloading the map or changing the map region.

Its not an overly difficult process, but we will need to connect the device to a computer. Do you have a Windows or Mac computer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a Mac
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. SOmetimes macs can be a bit difficult, so be prepared for a few hiccups.

First, we need to download and install the free garmin Software. You can get it from here.

http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express-download.html#mac

Once downloaded, make sure to open and install the garmin express program.. As we will be using the garmin express program to update the Nuvi.

Once Garmin express is installed, open and run the program. Then connect your nuvi to the mac. Garmin express should detect it and ask you to add it. Once its added to garmin express. Heres what we need to do next.

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={9c806740-426f-11e2-e8a7-000000000000}

Make sure that you change the region to a region that includes Kansas. And you should be good to go. If you get stuck or run into any issues, you're welcome to reply and I will assist you further as needed.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dustin, it says this system of garmin express will not run on my computer.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Lets check what version of mac osx you have then.. Heres how to check.

Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's version 10.6.8
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Ahh.. that could be part of the issue.

Can you verify that the file you were trying to download was labeled as "" GarminExpressInstaller.dmg " ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's says: "Install Garmin Express.pkg"
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Thats not the file name I would expect. So lets try this once more.

Can you t ry to download the file from t his page again, and verify the file name for me.

If it still wont install.. I will look up an older version of the garmin express program that should run on your Snow Leopard mac ( 10.6.8 )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, got the same thing!!
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Understood. In the meantime Ive checked a site that stores older versions of apps, and they dont have garmin express. Nor could I find any old copies of the program on the internet at large.

Unfortunately, this is what garmin has to say about its programs and mac 10.6.8

http://software.garmin.com/en-US/osx.html

So if you dont have a newer mac, or any pc. Then were at a standstill as that program is a must to fix this issue.

When you do find a newer mac or a pc. These simple steps below will rectify the problem.

o do this on Windows and Mac OS X:

1. Connect a compatible Garmin device to the computer.
  2. Open Garmin Express.
  3. Select the Garmin device on the home page.
  4. Click Map Options
  5. Click Reinstall Map or Change Map1
    • Click Change Map to choose a different map region, make sure t hat region includes Kansas!
  6. Agree to the Terms and Conditions
  7. Click Continue

If you have further questions, you are welcome to respond.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry but I don't quite understand. It was working before, why would it not work now?
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

GPS devices, just like phones or computers, including your mac. They need updates from time to time to keep the system software behaving as it should.

Over time any system software will degrade. You just normally dont notice the issue as much with your mac or phone since they tend to download updates automatically to deal with that issue. Your GPS only has one way to do this, and it must be connected to a mac or pc to do so.

You could try a master reset on the device, and that may temporarily fix the issue. But most likely youre going to have to take a few minutes to update the device by a newer mac or any pc.

Just for reference here is how to do a master reset on the Nuvi.

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={a1f85d30-a65f-11e4-4df3-000000000000}#304050

and here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vE2AeR7adtY

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dustin, Found the Answer myself. When entering a new address you need to select "State or Country" at the very bottom of the screen on the black bar. Then there is no problem entering a new address. You may want to save this info for future inquiries. Linda
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Linda. Glad you found the answer, I suppose in tech support we overlook the easier steps sometime and make assumptions about the problem.

I had assumed the normal steps were being taken! Regardless, should anything else come up youre welcome to message me.

And at some point you may want to consider updating the device, it will last long that way and also your maps will be a bit more accurate and up to date.

Dustin S.