Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I have a Garmin Aera 500 which is about 4 years old now, and

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Garmin Aera 500 which is about 4 years old now, and for some reason or other when I switch it on, the Garmin logo comes up, then it switches off.....I have made sure the battery is fully charged, tried to plug it in to my pc, all to no avail....
Any idea what the problem could be?
I look forward to hearing from you. ***** *****ncoln
Category: GPS
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Nick,

This is likely due to corrupt software or possibly a bad battery.

This is not user repairable, so it will need to be returned to Garmin.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi PeteThank you for your reply, per my message, I did eliminate the battery as a possible cause, and tried the unit using the mains....the reason I contacted just answer, was to try find a way to 're-boot' the unit, and to avoid having to take the unit to Garmin which is 100km from me.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Nick,

How did you test that the battery was fully charged? Over time, the battery can fail and will no longer store a sufficient charge, and this will prevent the unit from turning on. Around 4 years is a good lifetime for the battery and it may need replacing. The battery will need to be tested using Garmin's diagnostic equipment to ensure it is not failing. Once the battery is confirmed as good, they will check the software and reinstall it if it is corrupt.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi PeteI have 2 new genuine Garmin spare batteries, as well as an external charger for these batteries, and the charged light shows they are good....also, if you plug the unit in to s 'mains supply', it should come on....
I'm going to take the unit to Garmin today, just damn frustrated as I was hoping to avoid this...I called their offices and they said they 'have' the software to 'force' the unit to boot up...
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Ok, glad you were able to at least rule out the batteries as a cause so it isn't a wasted trip.

Perhaps there is a courier service that could take the device to Garmin for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi PeteI can't rate your service as my problem is not resolved! I took the unit to an authorised Garmin repair shop and await their reply.Kind regards
Nick
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the update. The messages to rate my service are automated and are sent by the website.

However, please note that you can still reply back here even after rating my service.

Pete.