Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a GarmanGPS map 188 Sounder and the screen has

Customer Question

I have a GarmanGPS map 188 Sounder and the screen has developed a large egg shaped black spot that blocks viewing the data.
Is this a common problem. I have kept the screen cover in place whenever the unit would possible had the chance to left exposed to he sun when not in use and always tried to protect the unit from any exposure.
Appreciate your help as this is not the type of service I have experienced in either the Garman aviation products or other marine products.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

How old is the GPSMap 188 in question?

Such spots may appear on almost any display given 10 years of exposure more or less... or perhaps fewer years in some cases. That's why I ask how old the display unit is.

There is probably nothing you can do yourself about the problem though. It isn't anything easy-to-fix, that seems quite certain. It will have to come down to a decision between repair-servicing the device (which, unless still new enough to be within the warranty period, would be at your expense), or replacing it. If the device is fairly old, of course, some would say, replace it because something else is likely to go bad by and by in a device that old.