Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I have a Garmine Nuvu 2455.the message i am getting is FM

Customer Question

I have a Garmine Nuvu 2455.the message i am getting is FM Traffic provider is missing. It keeps reading cannt calculate route. How do I proceed?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of the issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:

1) WHEN was the last time that the device was used SUCCESSFULLY (without these messages)?

2) The AGE of the device?

3) WHEN this issue first began?

4) Do you have the USB cable that usually comes with these devices - for connecting to a computer?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It started today. I had the unit for about two years now. s I have the cable that came with it.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again and thanks for that.

Can you tell me WHEN the last time that the device was used SUCCESSFULLY (without these messages) AND HOW OFTEN the device is used?

I only ask because the FM Traffic message tells me that the device may need to be "updated" - for the close by FM radio stations (that send traffic data), and the update can usually be done by installing Garmin Express on your computer - and then updating the device software (not necessarily the maps - but they may need to be updated too).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is garmine express? I used it GPS today. I use it everyday. It figures
8-10/routes a day
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - very good.

Garmin Express it the "tool" (computer program) that Garmin uses to update most of its devices. You can get that at the following link:

http://www.garmin.com/express

There should be a video tutorial on that page that shows how to download and install it on your computer, then connect the device via the USB cable - to update the device software.

BUT, now that I'm thinking a little more about the messages you are seeing, it makes me think that perhaps the memory if the device is either getting FULL or might not be fully seen (if you have an SD card that holds your maps.

Another thing that can cause the FM Traffic provider missing is if you are NOT using the original power adapter (which has the FM receiver in it) OR you are "out of range" of the usually transmitters, OR the provider database (also in memory) is not accessible.

So what I would do at this point is get Garmin Express on your computer, and update the device software ONLY (including any traffic data), and then reset (reboot) your device and see if you still get those error messages.

If needed, you MAY also want to update the maps, but ONLY after the software update has been tried.

Please let me know if you can get Garmin Express on your computer and try the update - to see if it gets rid of the error messages.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still getting garmin express
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

May I ask if you have HIGH SPEED internet access?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Internet access don't know how fast.the Wed site is very confusing
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - regarding your internet access:

Who (what company) do you go through to get access to the internet?

Also, what type of computer do you have (windows, mac, etc.) - for access the internet?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a windows computor,and the provider is charter
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - Charter should be relatively fast.

What version of Windows do you have on the computer?

And did you see the VIDEO on that page, and were able to play that video - right on that screen?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They want me sign in. I don't see where to sign in
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I not even sure what site I am on. There are many. Very. Confusing
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

WHO wants you to "sign in"?

I only ask because I don't see any sign in on the page I linked you to.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is the name of the exact site?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Let me send a slightly different link - which should take you right there.

http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html

Click the link to go directly there.

My title reads "Garmin Express".

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Free mPs and directions?driver update?instant free.down load?/where to go
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Something saying "Free mps & directions" does NOT sound right, so please close that window on your computer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi greg, I am done.with questions. My god.wouldn't. Take.the.garmin express up.load.after.trying.on different computers. So.I.bought a.new.one. thanks.for.your.help.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

You are quite welcome.

At that age and the results you were getting, there could have been "other issues" with the device, such as hardware issues like a broken USB connector in the device (that does happen on quite a few of these devices - over time).

If you have NOT "thrown away" the device yet, you could still have it "repaired" by Garmin - if you want to. There would be a "flat fee" for the repair, but it does come with a 90 day warranty on the returned device. And if you did that, you would have a "spare" device - to either use yourself or perhaps use as a "gift" to a friend or family member.

There repair page can be found at the link below.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/outofwarranty.html

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this question.
You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)