Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

My garmin 1450 will only show cross hairs w/dot and keeps

Customer Question

my garmin 1450 will only show cross hairs w/dot and keeps saying press the dot. whats wrong
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any trouble with your device.

May I ask:

1) WHEN was this device last successfully used?

2) What was used to touch the dots when this screen appeared?

3) Will the device still operate when only powered by the internal battery?

Thanks

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I asked the above questions because the most common cause of this issue is an internal battery that has discharged, which causes the loss of the "touchscreen calibration data". That is what makes the calibration routine appear.

Also, I meant to ask "What Happens" when you "played press the dot"? Did the dots MOVE to a different location on the screen - each time you touched one? If so, that is a "good thing".

One other note: It is recommended that a "stylus" or the eraser end of a pencil be used during the calibration routine. This is because it is more ACCURATE than a finger tip, and give you a better chance of completing the routine quickly.

As are reference, I also have a link to a video that shows how this process can be done, or even forced to be done. Please take a look and try this one your own device, and let me know what happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxZtvspUydk

I look forward to your results.

If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this question.
You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have completed calib but the unit says it can not unlock the maps
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was last used 7/21/15 and worked well.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again and thanks for letting me know what worked for you.

The "can't unlock maps" is similar symptom - from discharged battery (Unlock file is lost).

So may I ask:

1) if this is an "LM" model - with "Lifetime Map" updates?

2) The AGE of the device?

Thanks

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I didn't see a response from my last post, but wanted to send the following before I sign off for the night.

If this IS an LM model, I would recommend fully charging the device and then updating the maps. That should take care of this issue.

If not an LM model, please refer to the following article, especially the section about what to do if you see this exact message.

Click Here --> Article

Please let me know what you find.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)