Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I have a Garmin 2555LMT, tried downloading new map updates

Customer Question

i have a Garmin 2555LMT, tried downloading new map updates and it doesnt want to finish download. what is wrong
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of any issue you are having.

May I ask:

1) The AGE of you device?

2) Was your device working properly INCLUDING being FULLY charged before starting the update?

3) Has the device ever been updated before (successfully) in the past?

4) What is your internet connection speed (if you know it)?

5) HOW LONG has the update been in progress?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The device is 3 years old, never tried updating before. Yes it was fully charged . I was on a motel internet. Don't know the speed, but it is high speed. It said it would take 1hr 54mins at first then it said 3hrs and 54mins. It stopped at 49 mins.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Sorry for any delay.

OK - First, it is actually "normal" for the estimated time to CHANGE as the download takes place, as that time is is recalculated every so often, as network conditions change during the process.

.

Next, it sounds like there was a glitch in the network connection, where the network connection to the computer could have become VERY slow, or was lost all together. I have seen this kind of thing happen at a hotel - where MANY of the guests get online during a particular period of time OR when their network equipment & connection to the internet gets very busy. And if this was/is a WiFi connection, there could be other factors involved too.

But in any case, you should be able to stop the program, safely remove the device from the computer, and restart the entire process - when you have a better (or good) connection. This assumes that the device will at least still power up and connect to the computer. There should be a "reinstall maps" option - if the program is telling you that the maps are already up to date (but are not).

Please let me know what you find or if you have any more details for me when you retry the process.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)