Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Giving Directions to wayward GPS devices for over a decade. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I just got a Nuvi 52. I plugged it in to my computer to

Customer Question

I just got a Nuvi 52.
I plugged it in to my computer to charge it.
Nothing happens. The screen just shows the GARMIN logo.
How do I start it?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to just answer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

If this is the first time you have attempted to charge and turn on the Nuvi, did you let it charge for at least an hour before you attempted to turn it on? Normally, youd want to let it charge for a few hours when you first open it. But an hour should be enough for it to at least turn on and function.

If you did let it charge for an hour and its still getting stuck on the Garmin loading screen. Then we should be able to get it working with a simple reset.

Heres how to reset it.

1. Start with the device OFF and unplugged from power
  2. Touch and hold the lower right corner of the screen with an index finger or the eraser end of a pencil
  3. Continue touching and holding the lower right hand corner of the screen then power the device ON
  4. Release the power button when the device powers ON
  5. You will see a new message: "Do you really want to erase all user data?"
  6. Remove your finger from the touch screen when this message displays
  7. Touch Yes
    • If text language is not in English, this is the button on the right

The device will now reset. Follow the on-screen prompts and then place your device in an area with a clear view of the sky until it acquires satellites.

If you get stuck or run into any issues, let me know. Whether or not these steps work, please send a reply so I can either assist you further, or so we can mark this issue as resolved.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.