Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

What is the map format that the Garmin 3206 used. I have one

Customer Question

What is the map format that the Garmin 3206 used. I have one of these and the Data Card Programmer. I want to get North American (Canadian in particular) in-land lakes on this device.
It must be possible to convert to the proper format?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

It seems from my research that you need to use a file of the .GMAP (.gmap) format. This is not to say that other formats will not work for certain, but this is the format that I turned up as compatible with your outmoded Garmin model.

Let me know if I can help you further with any detail of this question. And if this completes the case, as far as you are concerned, please rate my Answer, so that the case may be closed. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are there converters that will convert to .gmap from other common chart formats.?
Brad
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

There are such converters. But, what computer are you going to be doing the conversion on, a Windows PC, or an Apple computer ? the programs differ.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It would be Windows PC I have several choices on various desktops or laptops Vista , XP W7 8 or 8.1
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Good.

As for conversion to .gmap on Windows... it depends upon what specific file type(s) you want to convert. (Admittedly there seem to be more conversion programs for Mac/Apple computers than for Windows PCs.)

JaVaWa is mentioned as a program for map conversion, but perhaps not the type you are looking for. So tell me the map types (just a few of them at least) that you want to convert into .gmap format, please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
JaVaWa ? Is that typed correctly? It pulls up nothing in Google? That's unusual. I have tried to read the Garmin Data Card with the card reader / drives provided. I can't see what's on the card, therefore no chance of converting or loading anything to it. Any ideas on that. Brad Cargill
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

JaVaWa:

http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html

is a program that can do some map file conversions... perhaps it might help, I'm not sure.

At least it is a Windows-compatible progam, unlike most map conversion programs I found upon searching, which turned out to be for Apple/Mac computers only.

Was the Garmin Data Card readable at all? it might be too large or otherwise unusable in whatever card reader / computer combination you tried.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. It uses a preprogrammed data card. it is small 256K. The manual says it uses Garmin Blue Chart G2 and Map Source data cards. As I said I have the Garmin usb device that fits the data card, but when the card reader is plugged in, the PC see a device but will not see the card plugged into the device. There is a cd with it which has drivers, but no luck installing anything. The install program is really wanting the chart plotter to be plugged in. but there is no ports for that. And no way to power the device without having it in the boat.
I think I am hooped. Even if I could find a map source.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

There is a cd with it which has drivers

What is the title of the CD, on its label, please? (I'm not clear as to how the CD might appertain to this case, exactly.)

What version of Windows is on your PC ?