Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Giving Directions to wayward GPS devices for over a decade. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

My son and I have the same Garmin G3 GPS. s and min differ

Customer Question

My son and I have the same Garmin G3 GPS. His and min differ as to distances on the golf course. His agrees closer than mine with the distances marked on the course.
Can I get mine recalibrated?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

What I suggest is a two step process. First, lets factory restore your G3 Approach device. Heres how.

To perform the master reset:

1. Power Approach off
  2. Press and hold on the upper left corner of display
  3. Power device on while still maintaining pressure on display
  4. Release upper left side of display when Do you really want to erase all user data? message appears
  5. Touch Yes

Once that is complete. We need to turn the device on, proceed through the initial setup. And then connect it to a computer and update its software. To update the software, you need to download and install this program.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4887

Once you have installed the newest version of the garmin express program. Run the garmin express program on screen. It should ask you to connect a device. Make sure the approach G3 is connected and turned on, then click Add device.

It should find and add your Garmin G3.. Once t hats done.

It will check if there are any software updates to install. Download and install any and all software updates it has. Once that is complete. Disconnect the G3. Turn it off, then back on, and reconnect it to the computer.

Have garmin express check for updates a second time. If it finds any , install it.

Once that is complete. You should be running the newest software on a clean device. And that should help your accuracy on the course.

If you run into any issues, or have any further questions. Let me know!

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.