Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I have tried to hard reset my garmin nuvi 1350 without

Customer Question

I have tried to hard reset my garmin nuvi 1350 without success. I have tried low right corner as well as top left corner. the garmin logo stays on. when plugged into pc it is not recognized.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your GPS.

May I ask for a bit more detail about this issue & device, such as:
1) What state was/is the device in that caused you to want to do a hard reset?
2) The AGE of the device?
3) WHEN this issue first began?

4) WHEN was the last time the device behaved "normally"?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was working fine a few days ago and then the next time I turned it on it just keeps the garmin logo on continually. As I said I did try the reset instructions already. Not sure on age. Not used that much.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

OK - let me ask EXACTLY how the reset was attempted.

For example, was the device connected to ANY power source when you attempted the reset?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
r u there
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Yes - I'm here. Did you see my last note?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just the ones with the questions that I already answered
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - how about the DETAILS about attempting the RESET, and if you had the device connected to ANY power source at that time?

I did not see a reply to that one.....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried it without being connected at first by putting pressure on the bottom right corner of screen then pressing power. nothing. then tried with the top right and then powering on. nothing. then tried plugging into computer. tried 2 different computers
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
garmin logo is steady
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
now did my message come through
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Sorry for any delay. It does take a bit of time for your messages to come through and for me to respond (this is not really "instant").

OK - let me ask if you have an SD card installed in the device (slot on the side). If so, please remove that card and try again, using the video instructions I have for you below.

NOTE: This reset should be done WITHOUT any connection to power, AND starting with the device OFF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAOpw98cSpU

Also, the IMPORTANT PART is that you see that message about clearing the user data. If you do NOT see that, try the process again, and make sure you HOLD your finger on the lower-right corner of the screen UNTIL you see that message.

If you can not make that happen, there may be other issues (but hopefully not).

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no sd card. I will try so hang on. thank you for waiting
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

I'll be here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that again with no success. I was specific in my initial questions that I had already done that so I am unsure if you are mixing me up with someone else. I get no screen other than the garmin.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Not mixing you up, just VERIFYING EXACTLY what was done. I do that because I never ASSUME that a 'hard reset" done by someone other than myself is the same as the procedure I use.

So know we must consider if the device has become faulty - either in the screen, or perhaps the power/USB connection of the device, and if repair is an option. That is why I asked about the AGE of the device, to which you said "not sure".

So may I ask if you KNOW if the device is more than a year old OR if you purchased an extended warranty when it was bought?

I only ask because a standard warranty is 1 year, and often it is less costly (in money and time) to replace a device with a newer model, than to have a failed on repaired.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Over a year. Don't have exact date
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

And no extended warranty that you know of (usually sold by the store at the time of purchase)????

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - if that is the case, let me suggest the options - as I see them.

1) Have the device REPAIRED by the Garmin Repair center (at a flat rate).

To do that, go to the following link and select your device model from the pull-down list - to get a quote for the cost. Then scroll down the page to see the rest of the process (getting all the "numbers" so that the repair center will accept your device when shipped to them.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/outofwarranty.html

2) Replace the device with a newer model. I mention this because the devices sold in the last couple of years have really dropped in price, PLUS most have an option that includes Lifetime Map updates - which you may have had to pay for in the past.

As an example only, I have a link to a search I did on Amazon for Nuvi LM (includes Lifetime Maps), so you can see the "street prices" of the devices today.

Nuvi LMT Search
http://amzn.to/1MIrfqj

Also, many of the device shown online can be found locally - at electronics and department stores. And some of those stores will "price match" what you see online - IF you know to ask.

NOTES:

Garmin repairs DO come with a 90 day warranty - for your protection.

NEW devices come with a full 1 year warranty, and of course all new hardware.

Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions about this device.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You only gave me information that I gave you before we started. I know you know that which is why I put it in opening comments. Please refund my money.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

May I ask what information I gave you that you sent in the opening comments, besides the CONFIRMATION that the reset was performed as mentioned?

And I'm sorry if the diagnosis of the issue was not an "easy fix", but hardware issues DO happen over time. And when that happens, your choices for having a working device become limited to the ones I mentioned, as ALL electronic devices have limited lifetimes and warranties. I understand that this may not have been the answer that you wanted to hear, but I can assure you that it is honest and accurate (that is the only type of advice I give).

Please let me know if you have any more questions.