Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I( have gps. The fc can 310 will not find the course. I play

Customer Question

I( have gps for golf. The fc can 310 will not find the course. I play the same two courses two to three times aweek. It looks satelites but does not pick them up. it saysno course near. I do not how to make it work.can you help me
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your GPS.
May I ask:
1) The FULL Make & Model Number of the device you are working with?
2) The AGE of the device?
3) WHEN this issue first began?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Garmin fc can310
Age 3 years
This week
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again and thanks for that information.
OK - can you tell me if this is a HANDHELD unit or a "watch" unit?
Also, can you find any other markings on the device - such as a serial number?
I only ask because I may be able to find the exact model from the serial number.
Also, WHEN was the device last SUCCESSFULLY used AND were you able to give it a FULL charge - since the last (successful) use?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2qr011061
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it worked correctly last Saturday.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
OK - that serial number tells me that this is an Approach S1 WATCH - is that correct?
Also, were you able to FULLY charge the device since last Saturday?
One other thing: Have you recently CLEANED the contacts of the watch AND the charging clip?
I only ask because NOT being able to find and lock on the satellite signals is one of the FIRST symptoms of a weak or failing battery.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is on full charge.When it finds the satalite it says no course near.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay I ordered anew one thank you
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
OK - so it IS finding and locking on the satellite signals now - is that CORRECT?
Also, have you attempted to UPDATE the courses on the device recently (or ever)?
I only ask because loss of courses is another symptom of a battery that is getting weak.
EDIT - it looks like our messages crossed.
May I ask WHAT "new one" you ordered?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where do you get updates at and cancel my subscription for further questions.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I do NOT see that you have a subscription for any further questions, so you should be good there.
To update your device, you can use a tool (program) called Garmin Express - that loads on your computer, and then you can add your approach to the program - when connected to the USB Charger/Data cable), and update the device that way. This will make any software updates and course updates - at the same time.
You can get the Garmin Express program for your computer at the following page. There is even a little video on that page that tells how to download, install, and run the program and connect your device.
http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html
Please let me know if you have any more questions.
If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this question.
You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them or can not use them.
Thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
If updating the device with Garmin Express still does not fix the issue, I will let you know that you CAN still have the device repaired (with a 90 day warranty) by the Garmin Repair center. You can see how to start that process at the following page, and then selecting your device (Approach S1) from the pull down list.
http://www8.garmin.com/support/outofwarranty.html
The quote I just saw on that page was for $79, so that may be something to consider.
Also, if you want to purchase a replacement S1, I did a search of Amazon and have the results of that search below. I did see a refurbished device at a pretty good price.
Approach S1 search results (Amazon)
http://amzn.to/1Kb9PVI
Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)