Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Giving Directions to wayward GPS devices for over a decade. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

My 296 was fine. Then I bought a new off-brand battery but

Customer Question

My 296 was fine for years. Then I bought a new off-brand battery but it fit poorly. Bought a Garmin###-##-####03 and it fits fine but now the unit won't run unless the charger is plugged in, even though display says battery "fully charged". What's my problem?
Thanks,
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

Lets try resetting the device. To do so,

User Reset
When the unit is turned off, keep the POWER and QUIT keys pressed until you see it ask you to reset all user data.

Choose yes, and let it reset. Once complete. Unplug it from the charger, and try to turn it on.

What happens?

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Tried it. Got the expected reset dialogue, and proceeded as directed. Still can't turn it on without AC power.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Lets try this self test next

Self Test
When the unit is turned off, keep the POWER and ENTER/MARK keys pressed until a test page is displayed:

On the left, for vbattery, battary capacity and battery charge, what does it say?

Also on the right did any of the tests fail?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vbattery jumps all over the place, now going back and forth between 0.00V and 3.77V, generally climbing. Now 4.18 back and forth to 0.00. Now up to 5.27 but still oscillating back to 0.00. 5.45 5.49 etc etc
Battery capacity steady at 99%.
Battery charging says "No".
All the tests on the right show "Pass" except Data Card which indicates "Unknown" and Basemap Checksum which reads 48597100.
Basemap and Terrainb DB show Pass with an asterisk.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
26 August 2015 09:38
Battery capacity steady at 99%.
Battery charging says "No".
Basemap and Terrain DB show Pass with an asterisk.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Good morning.

The Vbattery reading gives us a clue as to what the problem is.. Thats your batteries voltage. It should be putting out a mostly solid and steady 8.36 volts.. Some variance there isnt bad, if its .5 volt + or Minus. But dropping all t he way to zero?

That tells us one of three things.

1. The battery is defective.

2. The battery isnt connected properly to the mainboard. ( you could open it and check the clip, make sure its fastened snugly

3. The voltage regulator on the mainboard has burnt out. The main board will need to be replaced.

It should be easy enough to eliminate 1 or 2 as the cause. if you still have the old battery, open the device. remove the battery connector and reconnect it and then check the Vbattery setting again. If it stilll fluctuates to zero. Try the older battery. If the older battery doesnt fluctuate to zero t hen the newer battery is faulty and needs to be replaced. If it also fluctuates, and you double check the battery connection.

You may want to consider replacing the main board, which is extremely difficult to say the least. Probably the largest challenge you would face with replacing the main / logic board. Is finding it for sale!. Used 296 units, even non working used 296 units still sell for upwards of 200$. To replace the unit with an exact model would cost around 600 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-GPSMAP-296-Bundle-with-ALL-CURRENT-Aviation-Terrain-Obstacle-Databases-/171906929358?hash=item28067392ce

You may be better served with investing in a somewhat newer model ( If it comes down to having to replace the logic board.)

For example, this is a newer model ( compared to the 296 ) and a solid choice. http://amzn.to/1MTVMnL

If you do decide to go for a newer model. Here is what I suggest. List your current not fully functional device on ebay for 400$.. Show that it can boot up, explain that it is for parts, and that it wont run off the battery. If you look at this page and scroll down, you will see that broken units that can still boot up, sell for upwards of 500$ still!

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xgarmin+296+for+parts.TRS0&_nkw=garmin+296+for+parts&_sacat=0

If you take a few pictures showing that the device can boot, you should be able to get 400$ out of it rather easily.

That would cut the cost down on the Aera 500 or purchasing a new Aviation GPS , significantly.

I do hope that youre able to repair t he unit. Maybe its a faulty battery, or the battery connection wasnt solid. If you have further questions or concerns, let me know.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try trick #2. Here's a bit of extra data: oddly enough, with no battery in place and the test page displayed, the Vbattery shows a gradual rise (no oscillating back to 0.00), at this moment up past 7.3V. What the heck is charging if no battery is in place? If I pop the battery back in, Vbattery drops back to 5.5 or so with lots of fluctuation back to 0.0. Battery back out and the voltage continues its steady rise, now up to 7.8V.
Mean anything to you?
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Thats actually a good sign.. Did you say you received the battery from Garmin?

Looks to me like the battery was faulted. Maybe consider another battery and contact garmin to let them know the battery was no good.

Heres an alternate battery. http://amzn.to/1i1TTsq

Its third party, and its cheap. Im hesitant to recommend a full cost battery because there is still a chance that theres a fault with the logic board. I would definitely message garmin and get a return or replacement for the battery they sent though. That should more t hen cover the cost of the replacement battery.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
CS is the brand of after-market battery I bought months back to replace the original. It fits poorly and pops out. The one I've been having trouble with is Garmin. I will ask them to replace it as a step toward diagnosis of the 296 -- and a possible fix.
Should I still try your step 2 (take it apart and "check the clip" )? And if so, please explain what exactly this means.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

My apologies about the note on the clips. I confused which model we were working with.

INstead of the clip, focus on the battery at hand. It has three copper electrical contacts on the bottom of it.

Those contacts line up with contacts inside the battery compartment on the garmin. Try cleaning those contacts with a pencil eraser. And some rubbing alcohol..

That may help it read and use the battery properly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They look fine but I'll give it a shot. I also have a Volt meter. I can't read any voltage between the left contact and either of the others. Is that OK?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
26 August 2015 07:03
They look fine but I'll give it a shot. I also have a Volt meter. What should I read between each pair of contacts? (ignore text above)
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

My apologies for the delay. My shift ended a while back and Ive been at dinner, plus running a few errands.

I wanted to get a reply to you before morning. To be honest, Im not certain what voltage you should be reading from the charging terminals. I dont have a service manual or breakdown in front of me.

At the same time, lets consider trying this master reset..

When the unit is turned off, keep the POWER and OUT, QUIT, NAV/MOB keys pressed for 10 – 12 seconds.

Most likely the same outcome will happen. But its worth a shot just in case this is a fault in the software thats not allowing it to run off battery power.

Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, its been a few days since I heard from you.

You never got back to me to let me know if the last reset we tried helped? If it did, please remember to click and submit a rating as this question still shows as unsolved in my work history.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Sorry for the pause. I live and work in two different places and inadvertently left the Garmin battery down in Bennington. I'll be able to try your latest idea on Saturday and will let you know how it goes.
Thanks,
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Not a problem Mike. Thats the great thing about email based tech support. You dont have to wait on hold for hours~

I will look for a reply from you this weekend, or when your able to get back to the issue.

D.S

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi again. So I'm finally back where the 296 is. I tried your master reset trick. I don't have an "Out/Quit/NavMob button, but I do have a Quit button. So I did Quit and Power together -- which gave me a dialogue box asking if I wanted to erase all personal information. Since I haven't stored any personal information, I hit Yes. This made no difference; I still can't get it to turn on without AC power. So I'll try to get Garmin to send me another battery since it appears this one is faulty -- unless you have some other trick to suggest.
Thanks,
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

If you bought the battery from garmin. And it wont work without AC power after the master reset.

Im afraid at this point its clear you have a lemon battery.. And it needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it.
Thanks for the help.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Wish I could do more Mike.

This link may be of interest to you. http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund