Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

We are unable to get our Garmin to acknowledge our home

Customer Question

We are unable to get our Garmin to acknowledge our home location. It was previously used by someone else in Ohio. We have gone to Garmin express and completed the prescribed downloads and it is still not confirming our home location.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your GPS.
May I ask:
1) The FULL Make & Model Number of the device you are working with?
2) The AGE of the device?
3) WHEN this issue first began?
4) WHERE you are located now (city & state should be fine).
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Garmin NUVI 50Lm. 2013 year. We just got it. Montpelier, Va. 23192
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again and thanks for that.
OK - it "sounds like" you got the unit as "used" - is that correct?
Also, may I ask if you can take the unit outside, power it up and look at the View Map screen and tell me if you can see the DETAILED streets in your current location (without trying to find any address)?
NOTE: You MAY have to zoom in or out to see the streets, using the + and - buttons on the screen.
Thanks
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I'm unable to make a phone call right now (no phone available), but we can continue here in this format.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We requested a call. please call. I think that would help us best.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I would love to call, but don't have a working phone line right now to be able to do that.
May I ask if you can check that View Map screen and tell me what you see?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its used. I've tried to change home and settings but all seems to be all set for OH. we r in VA View map show a blue car and blank green screen. we have tried to register on garmin express. thought it was successful. it said so. I'm still in the house with the garmin now at my computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant a gray screen.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
OK - can you disconnect the device from the computer, take it outside (where it can see the sky), and then look for some "signal bars" at the top of the MAIN screen?
If you see those bars, please let me know what color they are (GREEN is good)?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all bars are green
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
OK - very good. That tells us that the device IS receiving the satellite signals correctly.
Now please go to the View Map screen again, and zoom WAY OUT - and let me know if you can see the MAJOR roads in your area (like highways)?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but I have to be way out and it show just interstates and couple major roads. I don't have it plugged into the computer or the vehicle now should I?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
Right now we are just trying to TEST the unit - to see if the DETAILED maps are in there, so as long as you have the device charged up enough to run these tests, that is fine.
BUT, from what you told me, it does sound like the DETAILED maps are NOT in there right now. So let's check the Map Info screen to see what IS in there (or not).
To get to the Map Info screen, start at the MAIN screen and touch the SETTINGS button, then the MAP button. On the bottom of that screen, you should see the INFO button - touch that.
Please let me know EXACTLY what you see on that screen.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
says: cn north America nt 2016.10 with a green check beside it in black color and the #1 below it with lower 49 states nw beside the one in gray color
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
OK - that "NW" would explain it. That means that the North West states are installed in the unit, and that is what you apparently updated in the device.
You can verify that by searching for a location NEAR Washington state, or Idaho, etc., and see if you CAN see the detailed streets on the resulting map.
So may I ask if you saw ANY messages when you did the Map update - about not having enough space on the device to hold ALL the maps?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No we didn't get any messages, but I may not have said that everything seems to be setup for Ohio. it says OH on the when I select where to go and when I try to enter VA in state or province it says not matches found and when I search hospitals or hotels or etc near by it seems to be all in for OH
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
OK - I just checked the "regions" of the lower 49 states and Ohio IS covered in the NW region, so that is fine. If you want to look at the regions yourself, I have a link to that detail below.
https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={80e6d330-f2e0-11dd-f45b-000000000000}
So I assume that you want to get YOUR region onto the device OR ALL of the 49 states (if you do a LOT of traveling throughout the US), is that correct?
If so, let me know if you want to have ALL the states OR can wait on that for a bit.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we are in Virginia is that ok for what's on the device? We don't travel so much through out the US mostly VA, NC, MD, Wv, Tn. you know the eastern us.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
I think either "Lower 49 States SE" looks like the best bet for those areas, as that it the "version" that the device is subscribed too.
I only asked about ALL the states because you CAN purchase an inexpensive microSD card or about 4GB or 8GB capacity, insert it in the device, and have ALL the states stored there at once. So you may want to consider that for the future - in case you want to take a trip outside the SE region OR simply "explore" the maps on your device.
But for now, all you should have to do is CHANGE the region that you have installed on the device - to the SE region. This can be done by using Garmin Express to REINSTALL or CHANGE the maps that are installed.
Let me give you a link to the DETAILED article on how to do that - from the Garmin support pages.
https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={9c806740-426f-11e2-e8a7-000000000000}
please clock that link, read over the entire page (its not too long), so you will have an idea about how this works, and then reconnect the device to the computer, run Garmin Express again, and try to make that CHANGE in regions.
NOTE: The Garmin Express program sometimes changes in relation to the instructions you find in the support pages. So if you don't find a particular link or button that is mentioned in the instructions, please "look around" in the menu/selection system and see if you can find that function.
Also, please allow AT LEAST an hour for the new maps to download and install on the device - as the files can be quite large.
Please let me know how it goes and your results AFTER the SE region is installed.
Thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
By the way, here is a link to a search I did on Amazon for 8GB microSD cards - in case you want to look for one for the future (they are very inexpensive online).
8GB microSD card SEARCH results (Amazon).
http://amzn.to/1O4tS7k
I look forward to your results of the map change.
And when you are ready, please take a moment to rate my service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you today. You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them or can not use them.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok I will try the link and let you know. please stay on in case I get messed up.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
I'm sure you will do fine. This should be almost the same as when you did the last update, except you will be looking for the Reinstall or Change map option.
I should be here though, but have to take off for Church in a bit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I clicked your link and it says unable to process your request. when I went on Garmin Express it took me to the same download we ran before & I didn't see where to choose a region.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
You should NOT have to reinstall Garmin Express - if you already have it on your computer.
So you may want to reboot your computer, then start up Garmin Express again (already installed), connect your device, and then look for the "Reinstall Map" and OPTIONS of that reinstall.
I will take a look around my details notes and see if I can find the exact way to change the region.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My Garmin is showing 70% storage , how do I remove this
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
Where are you seeing this "70% storage"? Is that in Garmin Express, and is it telling you how much of the map can be stored?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was in Garmin Express. I wondered if that was from the previous user and wanted to remove it
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
I may be from the previous user, but you should not have to remove anything. Garmin Express should take care of any removal or changes for you.
Our objective is to CHANGE the regions of maps that are installed - from the NW (Northwest) to the SE (Southeast) region.
Do you see any OPTIONS to do that?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been all over the Garmin maps and only see the lower 48 @ 59.99
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you please have someone call. We have been at this for hours?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I still don't have a line available to call, but perhaps one of the other experts here will pick up your call request.
As for seeing maps for $59.99, is that on some website, or is that INSIDE of Garmin Express?
If this is a Nuvi 50LM device (LM meaning Lifetime Maps), then there should be no attempt to sell you other maps within Garmin Express.
Thanks
(im)
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)