Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

One of my rino 655t will not charge the integral battery.

Customer Question

One of my rino 655t will not charge the integral battery. Twice during transport with unit off, it has inadvertently been turned on due to the now exposed on/off switch on the side (in lieu of protected on the top between the antennas). Therefor the battery has run down to zero. Now although with charger attached for 3 hours, battery condition still reads zero!
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your GPS.
I don't like to assume anything about what you have done already, so please let me ask for a bit more detail about this unit and its battery, and any other units you may have.
I also noted that you mentioned "one of my rino" devices, so please let me know EXACTLY how many of these units you have and the following:
1) What is the AGE of the device(s) and battery pack(s)?
2) Even though the "battery condition" still reads zero, does the device actually power up and operate - for any period of time?
3) Have you tried swapping the battery packs between devices?
3a) If so, does the issue "follow" the battery or stay with the unit itself?
4) HOW LONG was the run down battery allowed to be run down?
5) Have you attempted to charge the battery for a longer period of time? (my notes say that it can take Six Hours to fully charge a drained battery).
6) Any other detail about other steps you have tried?
7) Do you have the manual for this unit?
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I'm about to sign off for the night, but wanted to send the following before I do (I'll be back on in about 7-8 hours).
First, I wanted to send you a link to the manual for this device, just in case you need it. Inside there is information about the charge time of a depleted battery (page 5), and what to do if the "battery gauge" does not seem to be correct (page 51), and a whole lot more about battery types and other information.
http://static.garmin.com/pumac/Rino_OM_EN.pdf
I would also recommend trying to swap the batteries between devices - IF you have two or more - so we can tell if this is a battery issue or a device issue.
Please let me know what you find or if you have more questions. I will check for a response when I get back on.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)