Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I am trying to connect my Garmin Nuvi 3597 to Windows 8.1

Customer Question

Hi - I am trying to connect my Garmin Nuvi 3597 to Windows 8.1 and laptop can't see the unit
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your GPS.
May I ask:
1) The AGE of the device?
2) WHEN this issue first began?
3) Do you have a DIFFERENT computer you can connect the device to - as a TEST?
4) Do you have ANY anti-virus or firewall programs running on the Windows 8 machine?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 yrs
this is the first time I am connecting the device to my laptop
I have a different computer also 8.1
Yes anti virus
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
OK - very good.
A couple more questions:
1) Does the device still operate normally - when NOT attached to the computer?
2) Is the device ON when connecting to the computer, and if so, does the screen ON the device CHANGE when connected?
3) Have you tried disabling or turning OFF the Anti-virus software - and then connecting the device?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Device operates normally
I connected to computer and then turned the unit on - the screen doesn't change
I have tried disabling anti virus on one computerbut the computer will not recognize the device
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
OK - please try disconnecting the device, powering it up FIRST, and then connect it to the computer.
Also, try a DIFFERENT USB port - if you have one.
AND - if you have installed any other Garmin software (such as Garmin Express), please do NOT start that program before connecting the device.
I say this because the KEY to getting this going is to have the device "seen" by the computer FIRST, then we can proceed with any updates that might be needed.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok tried different USB ports on different laptops - nothing
I understand the computer needs to see the device but it won't and closed all Garmin appsWhat's next?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am also trying to connect it my mac and that won't recognize the device either
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again and thanks for that information.
OK - we will want to check one of the SETTINGS on the device - which is the setting that controls what happens when the device is connected to a computer USB port.
Let me see if I can find that setting.
But in the mean time, try these steps (a little different).
1) disconnect the SUB cable from the computer.
2) Switch the device OFF.
3) Plug the device into the computer USB port (device still off) and the device.
NOTE: you should be connecting DIRECTLY to a computer USB port, and not a hub.
What SHOULD happen is the device turns ON (automatically) and goes into MTP mode (Media Transfer Protocol) or USB storage mode.
I will see if I can find that (manual) MTP setting in my notes.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried this step as well and didn't work. I have tried to change MTN setting to mass storage as well
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
OK - let me be clear on what setting we need, as I think I may have got it backwards.
Instead of the MTP mode, we need to see the Mass Storage mode.
Has that been tried, then the device turned OFF, and then connected to the computer?
And did you do that with MULTIPLE USB cables - including the cable that came with the device (or should have)?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok tried everything else except the USB cable. I don't have the USB cable that came with the unit. I bought a USB cable and have only one.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
OK - I thought you said you had "used different cables" in your first post, so that is why I mentioned that.
So what type of USB cable are you using, and do the connectors seem to FULL insert into the device directly and the USB port(s) of the computer(s)?
I only ask because the unit NORMALLY uses the detection of the DATA lines of the USB cable, to "automatically" switch to USB storage device mode.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the connectors seem to fully insert into the device and the USB port of the computer. Its only getting power and no data. Do I need to get another cable?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
That is what I would try (another cable).
And if you are like me, I usually "put away" the box that my devices come in, and leave the USB cable in the box. So if you do that, you may still find the original cable in that box - if you can find it.
Otherwise, a good quality USB 2 data cable would be my next choice.
NOTE: MANY devices (like cell phones & cameras) use similar cables to transfer their DATA between the device and computer. If you have one of those that is "known good", that would be worth a shot too.
Please let me know what you find.
Thanks, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have the cable that came with the device but I got a new cable. But result is the same.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again and thanks for trying that for me.
The next step is pretty drastic (a Master Reset), but it should take the device back to factory setting and is the best chance to getting the device to respond. Once the reset is done, any SAVE FAVORITES will be gone, so if you have any of those that you don't want to delete, you will want to write them down (since we can't back them up without having the device recognized by the computer).
Here are the steps to perform a master reset on a nuvi 3507 and 3508 series:
1) Start with the device turned OFF and unplugged from power
1a) To verify the device is powered off and NOT in standby mode, press and HOLD down the power button until prompted to turn off the device
2) Power on the device
3) Four seconds after the first copyright screen appears press and HOLD the lower right hand corner of the display portion of the touchscreen (not the frame).
4) Remove your finger from the touchscreen WHEN "Erase all user data?" appears
5) Touch Yes
NOTE: If the text language is not in English, this is the button on the right
That should reset the device back to factory settings. Follow the on-screen prompts, the put the device in a location with a CLEAR VIEW of the sky, so that this can find a lock on the satellite signals.
Once all that is done, try connecting the device to the computer again, after a fresh reboot of the computer (no Garmin software running OR any anti-virus or firewall software).
Please let me know how that goes, and if the reset happens as described above.
Thanks
(im)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi - tried these steps and nothing worked. I also saw that you have charged full $45 to my card. But there was no resolution.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
Were you able to successfully perform the reset?
That is, did the steps work, did you see the "erase user data" screen, and were able to touch the Yes button?
Also, let me VERIFY that you are connecting the USB cable DIRECTLY to the Nuvi itself - at its USB connector - and NOT at the "mount" or "cradle" first? Please look at the following video for what I mean by cradle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYpBSpPFmgM
Also, we experts here can only advise you on your device questions, and have no access to any of your private information (including credit card information). Those kinds of issues are addressed by customer service here, or using the link below.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help
Please let me know what happened with that reset and where you are connecting to the device.
Thanks
(im)
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Greg,Your support was very helpful and everything worked. Thanks
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again and thanks for letting me know your device is working again.

If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this question.
You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)