Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Giving Directions to wayward GPS devices for over a decade. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

Regarding a Garmin nuvi 2797 LMT 7" GPS. I want to use this

Customer Question

Regarding a Garmin nuvi 2797 LMT 7" GPS. I want to use this almost exclusively in Costa Rica, Central America. Does it have free lifetime maps of Central America, or is it just for Canada and the USA? If additional maps for Costa Rica need to be purchased, what is the cost ,how often do they need upgrading, an is that a cost every time you need upgrading??
Or, is there another or better unit I should be looking at??? Thanks, Larry
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

What you need, is a device that has the South America lifetime maps. As Costa Rica is included in Garmin's South America maps.

You can purchase the lifetime update version at this link https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/maps/map-updates/numaps-lifetime/numaps-lifetime-south-america/prod98711.html

With the lifetime update version. Its a one time fee. It can only be registered to one device. But once registered, that device will never have to pay for updates to the South America Maps.

It costs around 90$.. For that reason, you may be better served to buy a cheaper garmin that does not come with lifetime maps, such as this newer model http://amzn.to/1TH8vhI

That way you arent paying the extra fee for lifetime maps for North America, which it sounds like you dont need.

If you have further questions or concerns, let me know.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.