Sijad H.
Sijad H., Technician
Experience:  5+ years repairing various GPS models.
61965098

I have a skycaddie Breeze model, golf GPS system. I suddenly

Customer Question

I have a skycaddie Breeze model, golf GPS system. I suddenly began receiving an application error message while attempting to re-charge the unit after a round of golf. I had a live chat with the skycaddie website. They gave me a solution that temporarily erased the message, but it keeps coming back when I turn the unit on. So the rep said I need to replace the unit. At a cost of $300.00, I'm just looking for a fix before I give up on this unit. Any possibilities?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.
Have they mentioned updating the units software to see if this will clear the message?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Sijad: I was given the instructions to clear the message by pressing buttons on the unit itself. It did clear the screen but only temporarily. It keeps reappearing. He finally said it needs to be replaced. What I did find since I reached out to "Just Answer" is that I can return it to them and they will send me a replacement for 90.00. I will probably do that unless you have an idea that could fix the one I have. However, it sounds like paying the 90.00 is probably the cheapest alternative.
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 1 year ago.
I understand, there is a method to update the software. Have you tried updating the software yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You can call me but if you can write out instructions for me on how I can update the software, then feel free to continue to correspond in writing.
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 1 year ago.
Installation is pretty simple. First go to this website:
http://www.skygolf.com/gettingstarted/default.aspx
Make sure your sky caddie is not connected to the computer. On the website that I gave you click the blue sync button to install the caddiesync express program. Once the installation is complete, connect your device to the computer and run the program if it is not already running. Once the device is connected and recognize by the computer click sync. Sometimes caddie sync will open as a tray icon in the lower right hand corner of your screen. You may need to right click it and then click sync.
Caddie Sync will update your software if there is an update available. Since you are receiving an application error, there is a very good chance this will remedy your issue as software updates install newer application versions. If you have any questions along the way please feel free to ask.
Regards,
Sijad Hussain
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sijad: I went through the entire Sync process and it gave the appearance of working perfectly. However, when I turned the skycaddie off and then back on, I get the same error message as before: Application error: "Application SGXUpdate.exe encountered a serious error and must shut down." I will go through this one more time just to be sure I did it correctly and then let you know, but I believe I did.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me just add that I did not realize that it would be an additional $18.00 if you call me so at this point, I would prefer not to talk by phone. I don't want to pay any additional money.
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 1 year ago.
You should not be charged the $18 because we did not do the phone call.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I tried to go through the Sync process again and this time as soon as I connected the skycaddie to the computer, the error message came back on. I tried it multiple times and no success. I appreciate your help and thought it had worked after the first time, but I cannot turn the unit on without getting the error message. I think it is broken.
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 1 year ago.
Alright, unfortunately it may be an internal issue. Sorry we couldn't help you any further. Sometimes things do break and there is nothing you can do to fix it. I will forward your questioning for closing. If there is anything else that I can help you with, please let us know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much for trying to help! I realize you can't work miracles.