Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I have a Garmin Golf Caddy. Approach G6. It does not hold a

Customer Question

I have a Garmin Golf Caddy. Approach G6. It does not hold a charge long enough for me to play 18 holes (approx 4 hrs) It shows that it is fully charged., Is there something that might be draining the battery? The backlight is at 90% and I have set it back to 60%.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your device.
May I ask:
1) The AGE of the device?
2) WHEN this issue first began?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its probably 4 yr and it has gradually been loosing the charge until now I can't finish 18 holes with it.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again and thanks for that information.
From those symptoms, it sounds like the internal battery is "getting worn out" - and needs to be replaced.
You MAY be able to find a local shop (Pro Shop, sporting goods store, "battery" store) that carries these batteries, and they may even be able to replace it for you (some offer such services).
If you have any trouble locating a battery, I have a link to Amazon where I did a search for the battery (below), and I see they have several listed, and some come with the tools to do the job.
approach g6 battery (search results)
http://amzn.to/1Mhd7GZ
I will see if I can find a set of instructions for doing the job, but the "hardest part" in most cases is getting the device case open and back together without damage.
Please let me know what what you find or if you have any more questions.
Thanks, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have a local battery shop. I'm not sure they are open today but I will check. Replacing that battery does not sound like something I can do.,
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
A local battery shop is a "good thing" - as they WANT to sell you the battery, and often will do the installation for you at no additional cost (to encourage you to buy from them).
NOTE: If they don't happen to have the battery in the store today, they may be able to order and get it for you quickly.
And I did find some written instructions for doing the job - if you want to look them over. They pretty much confirm that getting the case open and back together is the "hard part".
http://www.batteryeducation.com/2014/10/garmin-approach-g6-battery-replacement-instructions.html
Please let me know what you find - when you can.
And when you are ready, please take a moment to rate my service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you today.
You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them or can not use them.
Thanks, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I called the local battery shop and they are going to order the battery and also install it. I hope you are right and that is the problem. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
You are quite welcome.
Very good - sounds like you have a local shop that is "doing it right".
And when you mentioned the AGE of the device AND the "it has gradually been loosing the charge until now", that pretty much tells us that the battery is getting old and loosing its capacity. That happens to ALL batteries over time.
I believe the original specifications for a NEW & fully charged battery in this device is "up to 15 hours". So you should be good to go a full round (or two), once the battery is replaced.
Please let me know if you have any more issue or questions. And please take a moment to rate my service level - before signing off.
Take Care & Stay Out of the Hazards, Greg A.
(im)
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.
I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)