rv007
rv007, Engineer
Experience:  Garmin Design Engineer
15873252

My Nuvi 700 Series screen is dead. I've tried holding the

Customer Question

My Nuvi 700 Series screen is dead. I've tried holding the on/off button all the way to the left for 30 seconds, but it's still unresponsive. What can I do to bring it back to life? The last action taken was to upgrade the software & maps.
Category: GPS
Expert:  rv007 replied 1 year ago.

Hi

The first thing to do is to reconnect the unit back to your PC and see if it goes into PC connect mode..

If so then we will need to reload the unit software but we can only do this if the unit is responsive to the PC

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It goes into PC mode. Garmin Express says my software is up to date, and doesn't give me an option to reload software.
Expert:  rv007 replied 1 year ago.
Leave the unit on the PC for a while, just want to make sure it gets a charge... Then try again, if still no luck do a Master Reset:
Start with the device OFF and unplugged from power
Touch and hold the lower right corner of the screen with an index finger or the eraser end of a pencil
Continue touching and holding the lower right hand corner of the screen then power the device ON
Release the power button when the device powers ON
You will see a new message: "Do you really want to erase all user data?"
Remove your finger from the touch screen when this message displays
Touch Yes
If text language is not in English, this is the button on the right
The device will now reset. Follow the on-screen prompts and then place your device in an area with a clear view of the sky until it acquires satellites.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done all that before & the screen is totally unresponsive. It doesn't even know I'm holding the lower right corner, so it doesn't give me the option of erasing all data.
Expert:  rv007 replied 1 year ago.

So it was working fine, Is that correct?you did a map update and now it won't power up other than in PC connect mode...

Is that correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it will power up-but the screen is totally unresponsive!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is bogus! I've been charged and haven't gotten a solution to my problem!
Expert:  rv007 replied 1 year ago.
I misunderstood from your first post...
So the unit powers up ok but the screen is not responsive so you can't select anything...
First ensure the unit is connected to a power supply or the car charger and not the PC...
If screen is still unresponsive then we need to do a power reset that involves removing the battery... Alternatively leave the unit on until it goes completely flat...
You hav been charged but if we can't get a satisfactory resolution for you then I can put through a refund request for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I've tried everything-how do I do a power reset & where do I find a reset or a battery? My unit is a 760, serial no:###-##-####
Expert:  rv007 replied 1 year ago.

This video shows you how to access the battery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qccRlEl_Ec4

You are simply going to disconnect wait ten seconds then reconnect the battery...

If still no luck then it sounds like a fault with the touch screen itself... You can check that connection whilst you have the unit open...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I went out and bought a torque screwdriver, removed the case back, unplugged the battery, replaced it all and STILL get no response from the screen. What's next?
Expert:  rv007 replied 1 year ago.
Then the touch screen itself is faulty...
It can be replaced but probably more economical to buy a new unit I'm afraid...
Sorry the news isn't better
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If that's the case, do I still have to pay?
Expert:  rv007 replied 1 year ago.

You have been charged but if you are not satisfied then let me know here by saying I request a refund and I will put that though but for me I receive nothing for my time if you refund...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I respect your time & will not request a refund, but I am sorely disappointed with the outcome reached. That's an expensive Garmin that you just told me it's not worth fixing.
Expert:  rv007 replied 1 year ago.

Thanks... How old is the unit? Rather than buy a new one Garmin do sometimes offer a refurbished replacement/swap which is way less than a new unit... They will also transfer your maps etc I have known them to also do special priced repairs if just out of warranty...

Give Garmin a call:

U.S. Toll-free:(###) ###-####/p>