Sijad H.
Sijad H., Technician
Experience:  5+ years repairing various GPS models.
61965098

Nuvi 1490 won't turn on. hasn't been used -18 months.

Customer Question

nuvi 1490 won't turn on. hasn't been used for 12-18 months.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.
Connect the device to power and then press and hold the power button for up to 20 seconds. Did this power up the device?
Was there something wrong with the device that caused you to not use it previously?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the response. I held the power button down for 20 plus seconds after connecting the device to power and nothing happened. I purchased a car with GPS and no longer needed the Nuvi 1490. It was working perfectly at tha ttime.
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 1 year ago.
OK. The charger you are using is it a vehicle charger or a wall charger?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's a USB cord that is plugged into my computer now but I have tried the USB cord with a 110 outlet also. Nothing different. I have also tried a different USB cord so...............
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 1 year ago.
Alright, its possible the battery is too far gone to operate the unit. I recommend trying to let the unit charge for a bit if you haven't already and try again. There is a way to replace the battery. If you are technically inclined, you can replace it at home. There is a battery kit you can purchase.
http://www.newpower99.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=GARMIN+NUVI+1490&Show=ExtInfo
The link above contains the replacement battery along with a detailed video of how the battery is replaced.
There is a 90 percent chance this will fix your problem. There is a 10 percent chance that the device has some sort of other internal failure, especially if it hasn't been used in a while.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I have watched the video and ordered the replacement battery. I hope that fixes it. So do I still owe you 25 bucks even though you didn't fix it?
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 1 year ago.
Please understand that when working with electronics, there isn't always a straight answer and many things can be wrong. However, If this doesn't fix your problem You are always welcome to come back and request a refund. We offer a money back guarantee here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. ***** understand the electronics issue. I'll see if the new battery fixes the Nuvi 1490 and go from there. Thanks again for your efforts. Again, I hope it'll work.
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 1 year ago.
No problem. I will be here if you need to ask any follow up questions. Have a great night and good luck!
Regards,
Sijad