Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Giving Directions to wayward GPS devices for over a decade. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I have a Garmin S2 which was given me as a gift in late 2014.

Customer Question

I have a Garmin S2 which was given me as a gift in late 2014. I used it last week and when I tried to charge it after a round, it was unresponsive. (No Garmin on the screen, not responsive to the power key, etc.)
I check to see if my charger was working, and it charges my old S1 just fine, so I believe my S2 has a major defect. Can you provide some guidance?
Tim Gardner (owner of 3 Garmin watches) (###) ###-####***@******.***
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tim, this is Dustin at JustAnswer.com. I have a good idea what the issue is, being very familiar with these devices. But I dont want to assume, so let me ask you a few questions specifically about your S2. If you received in it later 2014. Im guessing you were not continuously using it. It spent long periods of time dormant, and not being charged. Is that correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I used it even in the winter, both at home and in travels. It worked fine for me on 7/22, but did not work after that.
I probably use it twice a week.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thankfully, you have the S1 you mentioned. The importance of this is that it eliminates the charger as being the point of failure. That only leaves one option. The battery on your S2 has failed.. ( Those small rechargeable batteries in the Approach S series have horrid lifespans. Im surprised your S1 hasnt needed a battery replacement. Your S2 definitely needs the battery replaced. Ive recommended the service provider on the link below many times. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-Approach-S1-S2-or-S3-Golf-Watch-Battery-Replacement-Service-/290904589370 Considering the battery itself costs 25$ even for a discount battery. Your only paying about 20$ for shipping and labor fees to have the battery replaced. if you replace the battery, the S2 will work and charge and function normally. If you have further questions, let me know. I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.Dustin S.Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.