Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

Garmin GPSMAP 96/96C We have had this garmin years

Customer Question

Garmin GPSMAP 96/96C We have had this garmin for several years but have never used the software on our computer which currently runs on WINDOWS 8.1and doesn't seem to be compatible. Can you advise what is necessary to use the maps and mark waypoints etc. and transfer to the device. Many thanks *****
Category: GPS
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi Neville,You will need to download the latest version of Garmin Express that is compatible with Windows 8.1:http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete, I have downloaded garmin express, and map source and communication plug in software 4.2.0.0 apparently map updatesare not available for this device and it says I need a resolution of 1366-768 which is what the display resolution is set on. I cannot open the current map disc that I have which is map source version 2.02. Any suggestions Neville
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
You can also update by downloading the latest version of MapSource from the Garmin website:
https://buy.garmin.com/en-AU/AU/prod33379.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete, there are no map updates for our Garmin I cannot even use the Disc that I have. any suggestions Neville PS I previouslt notified you that I had downloaded the Garmin Express, Map routes , communication plug and still no success.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi Neville,
Your current map disc is likely quite old and not compatible with Windows 8.1.
Therefore your only options are to use an older computer with your current disc, or use Garmin Express and install the latest version of MapSource.
Let me know if you would like remote assistance with this.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi Neville,,
I notice your rating for my service has not gone through...
Do you need any further assistance?