Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

We have a Garmin nuvi 255w (#1tv615735) that stopped working

Customer Question

We have a Garmin nuvi 255w (#1tv615735) that stopped working (battery?). Where can we get service done? Please provide a mailing address for service.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of the issue you are having with your GPS.
May I ask if you SUSPECT that the issue with your device IS the battery only, and not something else?
I only ask because I checked to see if Garmin still offers repair on this model, and it appears they do not (sorry about that).
I do know of another company that does repairs - if you can "get it", but if you have ANY experience working on devices like this, you may also replace the battery yourself.
Please let me know if either of those options would work for you.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was asking for information of a place that does repairs on this model of Gamin GPS. You said you know of another company that does repairs. Why did you not give me their contacts or address so that I could send my unit for battery replacement or repairs? I thought that this service offered repairs and not just advice.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I did not give their address because they don't work that way. That is why I mentioned 'if you can "get it"' - meaning if you can get into their repair schedule (they are a smaller shop and get very busy most of the time). In order to get into their schedule, you must do a "request quote" on their web site - WHEN their site will accept it.
Here is the site reference - if you want to check it out.
http://www.sharc.net/gps_battery_repair.htm
I also mentioned replacing the battery yourself - or with the help of a friend - if you wanted to take that option. If so, I have a link to where you can get a replacement "kit" (battery and tools) - listed on Amazon. I also have a link to a video that show how it is done - so you can judge for yourself if this is something you think you (or friend) can do.
Nuvi 255w Replacement Battery Kit
http://amzn.to/1DDpaWS
Nuvi 255w Replacement Battery Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwAbKYOgiZg
Please let me know what you think would work best for you.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I contacted your site, I thought that you provided repair services. My question was not answered (i.e. a repair service for a nuvi 255w unit). I just went to Goggle and found a site for a service for this particular unit. You might have done the same and provided their e-mail address for easy contact of a repair service and answered my question. I can not rate your service because I did not get useful information. Sorry! Furthermore, I should not be charged for this interaction. Regards, Tony
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Tony,
I provided a link to one of the sites that I feel is the "best" and least expensive alternative to factory repair - especially if factory repair is no longer available.
And yes, I could have searched for repair sites other than the one I linked you to, but I do NOT recommend any sites or companies that I have not personally used (I have used the sharcnet folks, and they are very good at what they do).
And of course you are always free to further research OTHER places to have the work done - even after my recommendations and advice. Good luck on your selected path for repair of your device.
Take Care, Greg A.
P.S. Any private information related to your account (such as charges) needs to be addressed to/by customer service here, as we experts do not have access to any of your details. The link below may help.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help
(im)