Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I have a NUVI 40 LM. I'm trying to upload lastest map info.

Customer Question

I have a NUVI 40 LM. I'm trying to upload lastest map info. My device is free lifetime maps. Computer says no device found. whats up
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer, Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of the issue you are having with this update.May I ask:1) What program (tool) are you running on your computer - to attempt the update?2) What is the AGE of the device?3) Has the device EVER been updated before (successfully)?4) What is on the screen of the device - once it is connected to the computer? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
#1 Just the Garmin site provided with device. #4 years old #3 Yes Three times I believe #4The GPS device Comes on with Garmin then a meter colored green runs across bottom until full! then nothing happens where it used to ask what I wanted ie Updates, Voices etc.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again and thanks for that information.
OK - from that "meter colored green" - across the bottom of the screen when connected to the computer, it does sound like the device is seeing "some" of the computer connection, but perhaps not a "good" connection.
So may I ask what happens on the device - when you power it up WITHOUT connecting it to the computer?
Does it power up normally, and allow you to operate it?
I only ask because I'm wondering about the USB cable used to connect it to the computer.
Thanks
(im)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
first it is a 2013 model. 2nd it works perfectly without being hooked up. it powers up great. cable is only as old as device and only used like I said 3 maybe 4 times. I just wanted to do my ocassional map update,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm a beginner computer user...however I have did this before...maybe its this old Toshiba laptop.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought I was going to a Garmin help desk...Cant afford this...So I prefer not to be in a free trial.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
It could very well be the computer - either the USB connector (or USB cable) - or the software.
May I ask what Operating System (OS) you have on the computer?
I will assume it is Windows of some version.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
windows 7
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
OK - the KEY is to be able to have the computer "see" the device - when it is connected.
So can you disconnect the device (if not disconnected now),
power the device OFF and then back ON.
Connect the USB cable to the device and then the computer.
And WAIT - to see if the computer "sees" the device (as a removable storage device).
It may take a minute or two, and you can try a different USB port on the computer - if you have more than one.
Let me know what happens when you do that.
Thanks
(im)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
some help but now Im confused!! I hope I owe nothing!
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
May I ask what you are confused about?
Did you try the steps I mentioned, and have the computer recognize (see) the device - when connected?
NOTE: We are not "done" - as we are just in the process of troubleshooting at this point.
Thanks
(im)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm confused as to why I can not get to where I want to go ie "download maps". The FREE lifetime map that was part of the original sale. As previously mentioned, I've did this 3 or 4 times.
Yes my computer recognized my device but only took me to long drawn out places for a price!
I am not satisfied, Right on this page it says Technicans free for 1 week....then $40/month after that!! You're wanting to charge me $$....no thanks
Have a good day.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
OK - We were just doing STEP 1 of troubleshooting - to get the device recognized by the computer and had NOT moved to the next step.
BUT, it sounds like you are confused about all the OPTIONS of how this site works.
If you want to see more details about the site operation, I can only refer you to the help section here (link below).
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help
If you clear up the confusion about how the site operates and want to continue to work on getting your device updated, just let me know. In the mean time, I will "opt out" of your question (our discussion), and will continue only if you want me to (you will need to tell me you want me to continue).
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)