Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

We want to just update our Garmin before going on vacation.

Customer Question

we want to just update our Garmin before going on vacation. what do I need to do
Category: GPS
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting you. In order to do that though I need to know what model Garmin this is.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the info on the outside of the box in which it came: nuvi 2595 LMT
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is this the number you need?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** use Garmin Express with the GPS connected to your computer in order to update. You can get Garmin express from here: Click HereIt will detect your Nuvi and then will show all available updates for your model.If this did not work, please come back and let me know what happened when you tried it by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work, please don’t forget to leave a positive rating - it is greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried to follow directions and clicked as instructed but am not sure I did it right. Don't know if I am updated or not. How can I be sure of that?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Just downloading it is not enough, make sure to run the download please. Then it should open to a program here is a video of it: Click Here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I completed some transaction but not sure I got what I wanted. Just wanted to update the Garmin before taking off on vacation!! Didn't want any new product or services and such.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
I did not give you anything new all I gave you was the program that is required to update your Garmin, did you follow the steps in the video I sent you? If you did it should be up to date.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not get a "video" --just about three screens where I clicked on install and run. Did I not do something right? I have not done this before and my husband just ORDERED me to do it!!
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
I understand you are frustrated and that is why I am here to help, here is the video again: Click HereIf you get stuck let me know where you are stuck, it sounds like you may have already done it correctly but let's make sure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not see where I am to click. Nothing happens when I just click on "click here". What am I not getting?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
That is odd here is a full link try this instead: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhW5hHb_uH4
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did get the video ... but in watching it, I see quite a bit of stuff I did not see at all when I started. So I don't think I got the update at all. Just make sure I am not charged for something I did not get as I had typed in a credit card number etc. But all that stuff about maps etc, I never saw. This is no fun to try and do. Should I just forget it and hope I have the info already to get to destination in Michigan?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Did you buy it in the USA? If you did then it should already have that route.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, we bought it in Peoria, IL at Best Buy.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Then it should already have that route. Try to enter the address you are going to and see if it comes up please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have hubby do that when he gets back after while. I assume if the address pop up, we are good to go. I know you dread dodos like me trying this. Thanks for being patient. There must be an easier way to do this! Might be easier to just buy a newer Garmin?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
If it finds the address you should be all set. This is the easiest way to update unfortunately and even with a new model you may still need to update as you never know how long it has been sitting on the shelf. Take all the time you need and let me know the results when you can please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are frustrated because we find that our Garmin now disconnected from the computer just will not work. It seems to be saying it is downloading maps and just sits there. No pushing of the buttons etc allows for a response. So what is going on? Are we messed up or what? So I plugged the Garmin back into the computer but I don't know that it is doing anything! We just can't get it to respond. How crazy is this getting!!!! Any suggestions?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
That should not happen unless it was in the middle of updating which it should have shown on the screen. What version of windows or mac is on your computer? You may need to re-run Garmin express but it should already be installed now so you would just need to open it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Version of Windows on this computer is 8.1. Husband is wondering if maybe we need to wake up the Garmin by pushing that on switch several times or whatever.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
To turn it completely off you would want to hold the switch, just pushing it only puts it to sleep. What is the exact and entire message on the screen right now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It just says Garmin then says in small print "loading maps" And it shows now a little picture of the Garmin hooked by a cord into the computer - yellow illustration. and it just seems frozen to that - not doing anything . And thaere is a little blue triangle over the N in Garmin.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Please reconnect it to your computer again with the USB cable, then move the mouse to the bottom right corner. A pane should open, in that pane click on search. Type in express and Garmin Express should come up in the list. When it does open it, and install the updates it shows. Do not disconnect the Garmin until it is completely finished.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am seeing nothing to click on - no pane - in the bottom right corner. We are both sitting here searching for something.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
In windows 8.1, The pane only opens when you move the mouse to the bottom right corner. If it still does not come up click the start button on the lower left corner, then on the top right look for a search icon which would look like a magnifying glass. Type in express and Garmin Express should come up in the list. When it does open it, and install the updates it shows. Do not disconnect the Garmin until it is completely finished.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have gone into Garmin Express, and it says I am already downloaded. So should I click install - I am getting confused!!! I think I clicked on install earlier. The Garmin is still just sitting here with the yellow diagram on the screen
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Yes please do it should reinstall the file. Wait until it finishes before you disconnect. Then once disconnected turn it off by holding the power button. Wait 60 seconds. Then turn it back on again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry - still here. Garmin Express says I am already installed! So that seemed to be the bot***** *****ne. Nothing else came up as far as info and choices are concerned. We just don't know what to try next. We held down the start button for a min. then the Garmin logo came on . Now we have a picture of a green jungle with an unlocked padlock there in the middle. What does that mean. It is not connected to the computer at the moment.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Ok that is good that means you are updated. That screen is the lock screen and should mean it is unlocked and can be used now, try doing something with it tapping the screen etc and see if it changes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good news is great. Seems almost too good to be true. So we are updated now? But Garmin says its battery is low, so we are going to break for lunch and hope after a while it is good to go again. Will let you know..... Thanks for getting us this far....
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
Yes you should be updated now and it can sometimes drain the battery a bit you would just want to charge it up the way you normally do. If this did not work please come back and let me know by clicking on reply to expert so we can continue. If it did work please don’t forget to leave a positive rating it is greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am back. The Garmin is now fully charged,it says. It comes on and we get the screen that is the jungle green with the unlocked padlock but we cannot go anywhere from there. We have tried tapping it, pushing and holding the start button .. nothing seems to work. Then when it is plugged into the car, we can get the screen that says "Where to" but it does not respond when tapped... so can't go anywhere. Is this a correctable problem or is it a dead Garmin now? Just don't know where to go from here and need it Thurs AM! So we have anything more to try at this point?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
That is odd since it was working before. Please try double tapping the lock icon.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing. Seems to be just frozen up! A quick momentary message -that that was gone saying "loading maps". Just sitting there disconnected saying "Where to" and ''View Map!" unresponsive. I know we seem like dodo's over here, but this thing will do nothing except shut on and off!
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
That should not happen please call this number: 1(###) ###-####let them know it happened when using Garmin Express and they can normally fix it for you. They may need to give you a new file to install. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Garmin.