Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I purchased a Garmin unit in 2013 but has not updated sthe

Customer Question

I purchased a Garmin unit in 2013 but has not updated sthe maps since. I downloaded Garmin express but it not not installing. What can i do to update the maps on my unit?
Category: GPS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
Sorry to hear of the issue you are having.
I'm unable to make a phone call right now, but we can continue in this format.
If that is OK, May I ask:
1) the Model of your device?
2) the TYPE of computer you have?
3) Is it Garmin Express that is not installing, or something else?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am not sure but at the back of the device
m/n:nuvi 52LM
2vr428046
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am using a Mac E 89a8f5db31 in a Staples store
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
OK - is that a STORE computer (connected to the store network), or something else?
And is it the Garmin Express program that will NOT install on that computer?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a computer rented to customers for a cost. I am not sure if it is connected to the store network or otherwise. The garmin Experess will not install. The system says installational failed.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
OK - that may explain what is happening.
For MOST places that make compute available for rent, a typical "renter" is NOT given any "privileges" to actually INSTALL any new programs on the computer.
Now you MAY be able to talk to the folks at the service desk and see if there IS a computer that can be used for that, but I would be doubtful of them making that available to you ... but it doesn't hurt to ask.
As an alternative, you you have a friend or other person that does have a "personal" computer (their own) and a HIGH SPEED internet connection? That way the Garmin Express program can be installed on their computer, and you should be able to do the update from there.
Please let me know what you find from the store folks, or if can use another person's computer to "get this done".
Thanks, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I asked the store person but he indicated that he does not have a computer as such and I do not have a friend who can help at this time.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
OK - may I ask WHERE this device was purchased?
Was it at the Store you are at now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No . I purchase it in Florida. I am presently in New york . I bought it from Radio shack. I went to a radio shack sotre but they told me that they could not help.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to disconnect now because of a number of other customers are waiting and the store has asked me to discontinue.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
OK - let me ask if the device is STILL WORKING - with the current maps installed?
Also, do you have a local club, or church, or something like that - that may have a few "geek type" folks you could ask to help you?
(I'm one of the tech crew at my church and would be willing to help - if asked).
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.Thanks, ***** *****(im)