Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

What is the difference between a 57LM and a 57LMT? Why does

Customer Question

What is the difference between a 57LM and a 57LMT? Why does the LM have maps of the US and Canada and the LMT only has US?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
Sorry to hear of any confusion between these devices.
If you are referring to the Garmin Nuvi line, the difference between LM and LMT is the "T" - which stands for "Traffic" (the LM means Lifetime Map updates).
So the LMT version ALSO has either a built-in FM traffic receiver OR it comes with an external FM traffic receiver.
NOTE: There are specific areas where these traffic receivers work - usually around MAJOR metro areas.
As for US states only OR ALL of North America (US & Canada), the maps offered with the device can change - depending on WHERE and WHEN the device is sold. For example, I just went to the Garmin page that describes and compares these two different units (link below) and I am seeing that BOTH have "the lower 49 states" listed as preinstalled. These are of course the LEAST EXPENSIVE versions of the maps that are sold in the US market - which is another reason they are listed that way on the Garmin US page (that keeps the price down for end customers).
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/catalog/product/compareResult.ep?compareProduct=500829&compareProduct=501424
Does that make sense?
Please let me know if you have any more questions or WHERE you are seeing one of these units that claims is has US & Canada maps preinstalled.
Another note: ONLY the preinstalled maps qualify for the "Lifetime Map" updates. And additional maps that are purchased and added to the device are really a DIFFERENT "license agreement" - for those maps alone.
Thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I did some more searching of part numbers for the Nuvi 5x line, and I see that the Nuvi 58LM is the one that includes US & Canada maps - at about an extra $10 cost (at least on the Garmin site).
Here is another comparison screen showing all FOUR of the Nuvi 57 & 58 LM versions.
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/catalog/product/compareResult.ep?compareProduct=500829&compareProduct=501424&compareProduct=501426&compareProduct=501427
No of course different retailers MAY have "sales" on these units at different times of the year, so the cost can vary greatly with what you find in local stores and online too.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.
I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)