Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

Garmin 2455 (just 2455) comes on and shows screen

Customer Question

Garmin 2455 (just 2455) comes on and shows screen for about 2 seconds. Audio will chime in every once in a while. But no video. On reset, the "Garmin" logo comes and goes. Seems that I've tried everything. Even erased all files (when hooked up to computer). Battery shows full from Garmin's software. How do I get the screen back?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your GPS.
May I ask the AGE of your device and WHEN this issue first began?
May I also ask about the "reset" you are doing, and what you are actually seeing when the logo "comes and goes"?
And one more thing: what "Garmin software" are you using that shows the battery charge level?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Garmin Express software. Reset is pressing down on power until it shows logo. And, I've tried holding the right bottom corner at the same time. Sometimes the screen will flash an "unlock" icon. I take it, to come from sleep mode. Age? Don't remember.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
OK - if you are seeing that "unlock" icon, the device MAY be in a sleep mode - and will need to be taken out of that mode.
Let me send you a link to a video that shows that exact condition, and what needs to be done to get it out of sleep mode. The video is intended to show how to do a Master Reset, so that may be a good idea too - IF needed.
Also, it may not be obvious in the video, but the device MUST be disconnected from any power source when these steps are done. Please make sure you are NOT connected to any power source when you try this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPGtTyOt-Hw
Please give that same process a try and let me know if that gets the device going again.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried. No help.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
Can you tell me EXACTLY what you saw - when you tried the reset steps shown in the video?
And as for the AGE, can you "take a guess" as to the age?
1, 2, 3 years or more?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2012 i think
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've seen several screens for a couple of seconds each. In fact, I can tell it's on by the audio. When I press on various parts of the screen, I get an audible. One is the Logo screen. One is the "unlock" icon, and one is the "unlock" icon with the words "double tap to unlock" above it. But the screen never stays on longer than a couple of seconds.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's on now. but no screen
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe the screen "timeout"?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
OK - at that age, it COULD be just a battery issue, as they do tend to wear out after a couple of years.
If that is the case, you may be able to replace the battery - if you are handy with small tools and devices. OR you could have the device repaired via Garmin's flat rate service (for out of warranty devices).
Would you be interested in either of those options?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. It holds a charge well. I could change the battery. The operating system? Maybe part of the boot is corrupt? I'll keep trying though. Thanks.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
OK - let me ask if the device is "seen" - when you plug it into your computer?
If so, you can get Garmin Express (the current "tool" offered) to update the unit software (firmware) - and see if that helps. I believe there is even an option to "reinstall" the software - effectively reloading (if that is the issue). Below is where you can get Garmin Express.
http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html
But from your description, it sounds like you MAY have a loose connection to the screen, or some other "hardware" issue with the device. May I ask if the device has EVER been opened up, or perhaps dropped (even a little bit)?
Thanks
(im)