Freddy M.
Freddy M., Technician
Experience:  Years of experience
15852642

I have a Nuvi 760 that wont power up. I had the

Customer Question

Hi Bernie, I have a Nuvi 760 that wont power up. I had the unit connected to my computer thru USB and was running the Garmin express S/W, which asked me if I wanted to update the firmware. I clicked yes, which the Garmin express S/W then told me it was downloading the update and I would have unplug the USB and reboot the 760, which I did. Now the 760 will not power on at all, either when I plugged in thru the USB or plugged in thru the vehicle. Any help or ideas would be great.
Thanks,
Greg
Category: GPS
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem. I want to warn you that it is possible you will need to replace a part in order to fix this. There are a few different things that can cause this and a couple different parts so we would need to troubleshoot to find out for sure. How old is it?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not sure of the age - probably close to 10 years...
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Darn, even with an extended warranty that would no longer be covered. Does it show any sign of power at all?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It did before I did the update, now nothing.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
I meant now, the update would not cause this. That is a coincidence that is why I asked if it showed any sign of power at all. If the update had something to do with it, it would show some sign of power. Did you try with different cables in the car and computer?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ohh. Yup tried everything, different cables, computers, and car.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Does the port on the Nuvi feel loose? Have you ever replaced the battery?
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Port does not feel loose(both USB and full sized connector) I have never changed the battery.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
Thank you sometimes the port can come loose which would cause this. It being tight rules the port out. The battery even though rechargeable does eventually die and need to be replaced. I am actually surprised at how long yours has lasted most last between 3 and 5 years. From what you are telling me the battery is the most likely cause. You can get a replacement with all tools needed here:
https://www.newpower99.com/Garmin_Nuvi_760_Battery_Replacement_Kit_p/garmin%20nuvi%20760.htm
There is also a video on that page which shows how to replace it. If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Garmin.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Thanks, ***** ***** try to change the battery and see if that works.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 1 year ago.
.
You're welcome and If you have any questions at all click on reply to expert and let me know. If not please don’t forget to leave a positive rating for my help - it is greatly appreciated. Please note you are rating me only not this site or your Garmin.
.