Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

My Garmin Street Pilot 2620 has finally shown a little flaw

Customer Question

My Garmin Street Pilot 2620 has finally shown a little flaw ! " ... when I enter information , ... and I touch the display on a " letter " ... or .. " number " , ... I must shift my aiming about a 1/2 inch to the right ! " ... as if ...? the voltage aligning the centering is , ..... to much , .. or , to little ! " I used to service televisions a while back and I used to do convergence on the picture tube and I had to also center the guns and the vertical and horizontal circuits . Is this problem similar ? ..> I need my GPS serviced and also updated , ..>>>>> " but I want the same visual maps ! " I don't like the newer maps that these GARMINS have ! can you help me !
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your device.
First, let me say that you mention of "convergence" of TV tubes takes me WAY BACK (I "grew up" working in a TV shop). I even used to "play with" the "blue sparks" inside the High Voltage cages ;).
To answer your question, this is more of a "touch screen calibration", as what you are really seeing is the AGING of the device, the touch screen "digitizer", or other components in the device. HOPEFULLY the digitizer is not failing, as repair of these units can be either impossible (because of lack of parts) OR relatively expensive.
And when you mentioned the "look" of the newer maps, I will let you know that MANY of the current Garmin Automotive units have what are called "themes" - where you can "CHANGE the look" of the maps & backgrounds on the screen. So you may be able to find a theme that would be similar to this device, or at least close.
One other thing: The modern units are must less expensive then what you may have paid for your 2620, and they are much more sensitive to the satellite signals. And MANY models come with "Lifetime Map" updates (lifetime of the device) - including in the price (so you don't have to purchase map updates every now and then).
On to your question: You mentioned that you still have "everything" that came with the device" ... Do you have the original manual that came with it handy? I only ask because there MAY be some information in there that can get the device responding correctly again - at least for a period of time (IF the touch screen digitizer is not failing).
Please let me know if you have that manual handy.
Thanks
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
If you don't have your manual handy, I have a link to the electronic (PDF) version below.
http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/439_OwnersManual.pdf
On page 4 of that manual (page 12 of the PDF), you should find the instructions on HOW to calibrate the touchscreen.
Please give that a try and let me know if the calibration works, and the letters and numbers respond appropriately.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)