Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I have bought two nuvi 2595 LMT. I bought the 2nd GPS

Customer Question

I have bought two nuvi 2595 LMT. I bought the 2nd GPS after my first quit working.
The first GPS stooped turning on. I had the second GPS quit turning on a week after I bought it.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your devices.
May I ask for a bit more detail about this issue, such as:
1) WHEN were each of these device purchased?
2) WHERE were each of the devices purchased from?
3) HOW LONG did the devices operate for you?
4) WHERE were these devices installed?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1) They were both bought in 20142) The second GPS was bought at a Best Buy3) the first GPS worked for a month. The second Gps worked maybe 2 weeks.4) # ***** was used on my motor scooter, #1 was used in my car.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again and thanks for that information.
Can you tell me APPROXIMATELY when in 2014 were purchased AND WHERE the first unit was purchased?
I only ask because MOST of these units come with a standard 1 year warranty, and if discovered to be bad (we don't really know yet), then they could be repaired or replaced under that warranty.
So let's concentrate on the FIRST unit - that was used in your car.
Can you tell me:
1) if you connected to the device to vehicle power - using the original vehicle power adapter?
2) if there was any "incidents" - such as the device "falling" from the windshield - about the same time the device started to NOT turn ON?
3) Anything else you can tell me about how the device was behaving, before it would not turn on?
4) HOW OFTEN was the device used in the car? That is, was that for a single trip or was it used on a more "regular" basis, even when driving around town?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was connected to vehicle power with the cord sent with the GPS. Then into the power point.
no dropping.
Working fine upto when it would not turn on.
The GPS stayed in the car in the glove box when not in u for calling youse.
Not used around town.
You would charge me $18 to call you and talk?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think I will close, I don't feel comfy with this. Thanks for the time you spent with me Greg.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, I'm not near a working phone right now, so can not offer a phone call - sorry about that.
So do you still have either the first OR second unit available, and if so, have either of them been attached to power - and may be charged up (there is an internal battery)?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Both units was on power when they quit , I have done the charging thing no worki.The Last time I had a problem with one of my GPS I sent it to Garmin with $25 they fixed it and sent it back.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
OK - You MAY be able to do the same thing (send it back to Garmin), but I'm wondering about why they charged you $25 - if the device was covered under warranty. About the only time I can think of when they would do that is IF these were "refurbished" units, or they were out of warranty already.
May I ask if you contacted (spoke with) the Technical Support folks at Garmin and if so, did they have you TRY anything - BEFORE having you send the device in?
If you DO have one of the devices available, we can try a couple of things to see if we can get it to come on.
Please let me know.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
out of warrenity
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
OK - that makes sense.
Perhaps they offered you a "special deal" for replacing the battery, or resetting the device then, as normally there is a "flat fee" for repair of any out of warranty device, and right now I am seeing the quote for the Nuvi 2595LMT as about $110.
May I ask if you live anywhere close to Kansas City, MO, as that is where there "repair center" is?
Also, do you have one of the devices with you, and has it been charged up recently? (so we can TRY some things)
Thanks
(im)