Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Giving Directions to wayward GPS devices for over a decade. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I,ve had this Magellan model 203 years with the

Customer Question

I,ve had this Magellan model 203 for several years with the same problem, every time I start to write in a new address these automatics kick in and won't let me spell the name of a town and assumes I mean something else! Is there a way to turn these autos off. Larry
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer.com Larry, My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. To start with, can you clarify the model number. You called it a 203, is it actually a 2036 ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, It's 2036.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm frustrated!
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for clarifying the model number. Ive been looking to see if there were any firmware / software updates that would allow you to disable that setting. The settings that are causing the issue QuickSpell™ and Smart City search Are the culprits. It should be letting you spell the name of the town though.. The problem is, It will block out any letters that dont spell an actual town name. For instance, if you started out typing P it will block out the Z and X , because no city names start with PX or PZ .. If youre spelling the city incorrectly that may be an issue. Unfortunately, there is no way to turn off the feature, its hard coded into the GPS. What may help though, is tapping the List button when you start typing city names. The list button may be easier for you to navigate then dealing with the Smart city search.. Another small piece of advice, you could try to tap zip code first and enter the zip code ( if you know it ) that will help the smart search zero in on the cities you are looking for. Overall, as long as you are spelling the city names correctly, it should let you keep typing letters. ( it wont let you choose an incorrect letter ) And as long as your spelling is correct you should be able to type out the entire city name. Dustin S.