Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I have a Magellan RoadMate 1220 I purchased in 2009. Can I

Customer Question

I have a Magellan RoadMate 1220 I purchased in 2009. Can I get it updated ?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your GPS.
Your device MAY have updated maps available, but being an older unit, even those maps may be a few years past current, and may have to be paid for (the updates were not free back in 2009).
May I ask if the device still operates well - with the current maps installed?
I only ask so I will know if it might more cost effective to look for a newer unit (most come with free map updates these days), or to try and update the current device.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it still operates fine.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
OK - I did some checking and found that the device should be able to be updated - to at least the 2010 maps, at about $80.
And it MAY be able to be updated further, if you have a windows computer and use the "Content Manager" program and connect your device to the computer. You can see both of those options on the following page:
http://www.magellangps.com/Vehicle-Navigation/Maps-Result_3?item=599
IF IT WAS ME, I would install and run the Content Manager program (that's free) and CHECK to see if the current updated maps are available.
And then make a decision - based on what a NEWER device would cost - that would come with Lifetime Map updates. I say this because I did a search of Amazon and found a more modern device with these updates for about $100. I have a link to my search results below.
http://amzn.to/1xonD9w
Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions.
Thanks, ***** *****
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.
I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)