Sijad H.
Sijad H., Technician
Experience:  5+ years repairing various GPS models.
61965098

I have a GPSMAP 378 with GXM 30 antenna. I have work with

Customer Question

I have a GPSMAP 378 with GXM 30 antenna. I have work with Sirius most of today to download NEXRAD weather data without result. The GPSMAP 378 is able to navigate the roads but I get no weather data. I wonder if the antenna may be damaged. Do these items go bad over time? The GXM 30 is about 10 years old.
What do you think?
Thx,
G. Watson
Category: GPS
Expert:  Sijad H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you. Yes sometimes the antennas do go bad due to internal degradation. There is a chance the problem is within the device. I would first update your GPSMAP 378 with the latest Garmin software update. Then try again to get the weather info. If you still are not receiving the weather info, then you will need a replacement antenna. You can find one on amazon for approximately $125. here is the link: http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Weather-Audio-Satellite-Receiver/dp/B000BYU62M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435285587&sr=8-1&keywords=garmin+gmx+30 Give the update a try first before purchasing an antenna. Updates can resolve of issues related to this type of issue.