Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Giving Directions to wayward GPS devices for over a decade. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I installed updates last night and now have no maps at all.

Customer Question

I installed updates last night and now have no maps at all. Can you tell me what I need to do to recover maps?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Welcome, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today!
The GPS device you have, whats the name brand and model of it?
Also, he computer you used to install the updates. Is it a WIndows xp, vista, windows 7, windows 8 or a mac?
Thank you in advance for your response.
Dustin S.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Garmin Nuvi 1300
Windows 7
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Thanks.. Lets try something simple as a first step.. Lets try a master reset on your garmin.
This short 1 minute video will show you how to reset the nuvi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWaEX4jWtog
After you complete the reset, are your maps working or do you still get the error message?
If youre still getting an error message. Refer to this article and methodically work through the steps on this page
http://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={c66b77a0-3ed9-11dd-d7af-000000000000}
Downloading and installing a fresh copy of garmin express, reinstalling the maps through garmin express. And then making sure the maps are selected on the garmin device, on the map info section. Are probably your best next routes.
What is certain is that this error is repairable. So if you run into any issues completing the above steps, dont hesitate to respond and I will assist you further as needed.
I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent submitted below this answer when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.
Dustin S.
Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. I could not find a restart button so am just re-installing.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Understood.. Keep me posted~
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry to bother you again, but none of your suggestions worked or I am just not savy enough to get them to work.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Question.
When you installed the new version of garmin express.
And you then restarted your computer.
Then, you started the garmin express program.
And then connected your garmin and turned it on.
Garmin express recognized the model of your garmin device connected.
( if you cannot make it to that point, let me know.. If you can, proceed as outlined below )
Lets try reinstalling the map as follows.
Select the Garmin device on the home page.
Click Map Options
Click Reinstall Map or Change Map1
Click Reinstall Map to reinstall the same map region
Click Change Map to choose a different map region
Agree to the Terms and Conditions
Click Continue
Will that let you start the map reinstall process?
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I havent heard from you in several days. I wanted to check back with you and see if you had made any progress.
Also, Ive sent an offer for our phone support + screen sharing service. That would allow me to speak to you over the phone, and also connect to your computer to try and resolve the problem on screen, in person.
If youd like to try either or still needed help, send a reply when time permits.
If you dont want to continue, and / or were satisfied with the help I offered please remember to click one of the rating icons and submit the rating.
Thank you,
Dustin S.