Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

My Garmin will not come on.

Customer Question

My Garmin will not come on.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.
Ok, when you use the GPS in the car, I assume that you are using your car charger - the one that came with the GPS. There is a red or blue LED on that charger. Is it illuminated?
Please let me know so that we can continue.
Regards
Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wait one sec. Yes. A green light illuminates. When I entered the address of the property I wanted to go to, I had a full charge. Did not have charger attached. When I got in my car, I used the adapter and when near where I was going, I turned on my Garmin and it did not come on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the light was Green
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
If the Garmin does not come on when plugged into the charger, then there is a problem. Can you tell me the model number of the Garmin? There is a small label on the bottom side.
Regards
Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
M/N nuvi 50 2J3105551
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so the Nuvi 50 has a USB port in the back for the charger. This connection can become problematic with frequent use.
Plug the cord in. Is the connection loose? Or does it have excessive play?
Regards
Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have the Garmin attached to the charger in my car. When I plugged the charger in to the power source, the word GARMIN appeared illuminated and that is all it does. I press the "On" button on top and nothing happens.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, you don't see a small graphic of a computer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just the words GARMIN
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Have you recently attempted an update?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NO
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
Ok. The unit sounds like the battery is depleted.
Can you plug it into the car or a house wall charger and leave it for say...two hours?
Then see if it will operate, without unplugging it.
I'll be here.
Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Like I said earlier, I enter the address of a home I need to preview. All went well. Shut it off until I was ready to leave to view it. On my way, I went to turn it on and it did not come on. Sitting here with it on my desk and the GARMIN is still illuminated.Okay. Will leave it plugged into the charger for a couple of hours. It is now 7:25 CST. Will send msg in 2 hours.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. I'll be here.
Steve
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just took GARMIN off of charger. The word GARMIN is still illuminated. Have not tried the on/off button at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just tried the on/off button. Nothing happens. The word GARMIN is still illuminated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Steve......Hello?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Traveling this Friday back east. I need my GARMIN with me. If this can't be fixed then I need to buy a new one.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12 minutes and still waiting.....
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry it didn't work out.