Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I have a Nuvi 265 5 years now and is been working

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Nuvi 265 for about 5 years now and is been working fine, but a few days ago it just won't start and giving direction. I didn't do anything do anything to it. Such as dropping it or wetting it. Please advise.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of the issue you are having with your GPS.
When you say "it just won't start and giving direction", may I ask EXACTLY what that means?
For example, does the unit still power ON and OFF, both when connected to power and NOT connected?
And can you still enter destinations to TRY and navigate to?
One more thing: When was the last time the device was SUCCESSFULLY used?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I turn it on, and it was turned on, and then it just keep saying loading map and nothing else. Last working condition of devise was last Friday 6 / 5 / 2015.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again and thanks for that.
OK - can you turn it ON and it stays on - using ONLY the internal battery (even if it appears to be "stuck" on the loading maps screen)?
Also, do you have now or ever have installed an SD card in the device - for holding the maps?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. The device is always on, and stay on. I never turn the device off. No I have not installed an SD card for holding map.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again and thanks for that.
OK - let's see if we can do a "soft reset" and get it past that loading maps screen.
To do a soft reset, first make sure you device is disconnected from power, and then push and HOLD the power switch for 30-60 seconds. If on, the device MAY power OFF and then back ON while HOLDING the switch, but that is OK - just keep holding.
After that time, try turning the device OFF and back ON again - to see if it gets past that loading maps screen.
If that does not work, we may have to try a "Master Reset", but that will clear out any saved favorites that you may have stored, so I want to hold off on that.
Please try that soft reset and let me what happens and exactly what you see on the screen of the device.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I disconnect it from the power source, it automatically turn itself off with a blank screen.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Did it power down IMMEDIATELY - or was there a "countdown" timer showing on the screen beforehand?
Also, can you power it back up WITHOUT connecting it to a power source?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it finally came back on, but the loading map screen is still here. The power turned off immediately.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to go now, I may have to talk to you again tomorrow.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
That's fine - I'm almost every day to help.
Please post another note here when you are ready to continue.
But before I go, I would be concerned about the condition of the internal battery - if it is the original and it has never been replaced.
When you get back, please let me know if this is the standard Nuvi 265 or the "Wide" version (Nuvi 265W).
I will look for your reply later.
Take Care, Greg A.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from yo. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning.
Can we continue with the following (from yesterday)?
============================
1) Can you power it back up WITHOUT connecting it to a power source?
2) Please let me know if this is the standard Nuvi 265 or the "Wide" version (Nuvi 265W).
Thanks
(im)
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I wanted to send you the procedure on how to do a "Master Reset" of the device - as this would be the next step in the troubleshooting process.
NOTE: Doing a Master Reset will take the device back to "factory" settings, so if you have ANY saved favorites, you will want to back up your device BEFORE doing this. If you have a USB cable to connect the device to your computer, you should be able to use the Garmin Express program (link below) to do that.
http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html
You will also want to VERIFY that the battery is "good enough" to do this reset, as it needs to be done when the device is disconnected from power.
Here is a link to a video that shows to do the Master Reset.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWaEX4jWtog
Please let me know about the condition of your battery, and the results of the reset.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The GPS is a NUVI 265. The battery is an original battery and has never been replace. How do I know if I need a new battery ? What is SD Card ( what does it do ? )? Where do I get one if I need one ? What do you mean for holding map ?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again and thanks for that.
To answer your questions, I have responses below.
RE: How do I know if I need a new battery ?
A: We need to TEST. An EASY TEST is to fully charge the unit, then remove it from power (the charging source), then power the device ON and use it. And at the same time, track how long the battery lasts.
Note: A NEW battery in these units usually lasts for 2-3 hours.
RE: What is SD Card ( what does it do ? )?
A: SD card is a "memory card". SD actually stands for "Secure Data".
RE: Where do I get one if I need one ?
A: These cards can be found at almost any computer or electronics store. BUT - don't rush out and get one just yet.
RE: What do you mean for holding map ?
A: When I mentioned "holding the map" that refers to the SD card (memory card), and it will be STORING (holding) the map data).
===============================
So back to our troubleshooting ...
WITHOUT being connected to POWER: Will the device POWER ON and STAY ON - FOR AT LEAST 30 minutes?
Thanks
(im)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did the battery test. I turned on the machine and the battery dies in 5 min. without power source.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again, Was the unit FULLY charged - as best it could be (had been on the charger for a few hours)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes. The unit is fully charge.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again and thanks for that.
OK - based on the AGE alone, I would think that the battery has come to the end of its useful lifetime, and at minimum, it would need to be replaced to get this unit working again.
So may I ask HOW OFTEN you use this unit, and HOW you use it (leisure travel, work, etc.)?
I only ask because the age of the unit limits our chances of having the battery replaced and the "cost" of getting current maps for the device.
And a more cost effective way to go might be to replace the unit with a newer model, as most of the newer models come with "lifetime map" updates, and of course you would get all new hardware (cables, mount, etc.) with a new unit.
Please let me know HOW you use this unit and if a newer replacement would be an option for you.
Thanks
(im)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I use it mostly going to work and some leisure travel. I would say short distances. How much would it cost to get a new battery ?
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
A Battery Replacement Kit (battery and tools) is about $15-$30, as shown in the following Amazon link.
http://amzn.to/1BbSYxZ
You would need to do the job yourself, and it is similar to the video link I have below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh7M_4XArmM
Now you MAY also be able to find a replacement battery LOCALLY - at a well stocked GPS store OR a "Battery Store" (like Batteries Plus). If you do find one locally, the store folks MAY be able to replace the battery for you - usually for a small additional fee.
If you want to check on the availability and cost of a newer unit, I have a link below to an Amazon search I did - for "Nuvi LM" (the ones with the "Lifetime Map" updates).
http://amzn.to/1MM8ccC
Please let me know what you think, or if you have any more questions.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.
I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)