Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

My computer is not recognizing the ANT stick anymore, can you

Customer Question

my computer is not recognizing the ANT stick anymore, can you help me?
Category: GPS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
for my garmin 310XT
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
If the actual ANT stick is not recognized by the computer - in and of itself - as opposed to the Garmin device it is an interface for, then you need to replace the ANT stick, I think.
Not working in two different computers is a verification of its being 'broken' - unless you neglected to install the driver for it first. In some cases, and on some computer types, that might be necessary.
In other cases, it might be automatically recognized. I would speculate that the computers that might auto-recognize it without previous installation of a driver for it, might be the Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 series computers.
So basically my advice is to replace it, unless both
A. you did not pre-install a driver for it on either conmputer you tried it on,
and
B. both of the computers you tried it on were Windows 7 or Windows Vista or Windows XP or lower/older operating systems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it used to work on the main computer but now it is not even recognized when plugged in listed under my devices, the computer made a sound when I plugged it in but then nothing.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
It could be that it has been damaged by static discharge. This is prone to happen when you consider a USB device as impervious to damage as a coin. In reality, one should 'touch metal' to dissipate possible static charge(s) on oneself or one's hands, before beginning to handle any USB device on USB dongle etc.
Also, the wearing of woolen clothing (except maybe wool socks, which can't affect anything much) is prone to make damage from ESD discharges happen more readily, more severely, and more often.
Note that ESD discharges may be light enough not to be felt, but still powerful enough even at that level, to damage electronic devices, including any USB device, even the small 'pocket-sized' ones.