Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

HELP!!!!!!!I have a garmin nuvi 2597. How do I charge it?

Customer Question

HELP!!!!!!!I have a garmin nuvi 2597. How do I charge it? I plugged it into my computer
and then I unplugged it from the garmin first and a note popped up in the corner
telling me......disk not ejected properly Eject "Garmin" before disconnecting or
turning it off. What am I doing wrong?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your GPS.
May I ask for HOW LONG you have owned this unit, and if you did ANYTHING other than plug the device into the computer (such as trying to update it)?
May I also ask about the CURRENT condition of the device, and HOW LONG it was plugged into the computer?
That is, does it power up "normally" when removed from the USB cable (and you switch it on)?
Thanks
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,
I didn't see a response from my last note, but I wanted to send the following before I take a break.
RE: How do I charge it?
You CAN "charge" the device by attaching it to a POWERED ON computer (not a hub), AND the computer is NOT in any "low power" or standby mode. I say this because SOME computers turn OFF the USB ports - to save power.
Also, it will take 4-5 HOURS (at least) to fully charge a device of this type when connected to a computer USB port. This is because computer-based USB port provider very little power.
A BETTER & FASTER way to charge the device is to connect it to an energized Vehicle Power Adapter - like the one that should have come with it. This is because the Vehicle Power Adapter can provide about 2-4 times the power as a computer USB port.
RE: I plugged it into my computer and then I unplugged it from the garmin first and a note popped up in the corner telling me......disk not ejected properly Eject "Garmin" before disconnecting or turning it off. What am I doing wrong?
I suspect you are seeing this "warning message" ON your computer. This is often "normal" when the device is plugged into a computer USB connection, and the computer "sees" it (recognizes it) as a USB storage device. For MUST USB storage devices, it is "good" to "Eject" them first - BEFORE physically removing the connection to the computer.
On a Windows computer, there is normally an icon on the Task Bar (when any USB storage device is connected) that can be used to "Eject" any removable media.
Another way to Eject a storage device in Windows is to right-click on the device's icon in Windows Explorer, and select EJECT.
To Eject a device on a Mac, drag the device icon to the trash.
I hope this helps. Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)