Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I HAVE A GARMIN DEZL 760 AND A WINDOWS 8.1 LAPTOP. I CONNECT

Customer Question

I HAVE A GARMIN DEZL 760 AND A WINDOWS 8.1 LAPTOP.
I CONNECT THE GARMIN TO MY LAPTOP, THE GARMIN 760 SHOWS CONNECTION ON ITS SCREENWITH THE TWO ICONS CONNECTED.
ON THE GOOGLE EARTH TOOL BAR I CLICK ON "TOOL" THEN "GPS" GPS IMPORT SCREEN SHOWN GARMIN HIGHLIGHTED UNDER DEVICE; ALL BOXES ARE TICKED UNDER "IMPORT" OUTPUT HAS KLM STRINGS TICKED.
NEXT SCREEN IS "REALTIME" HAS NMEA TICKED, TRACK IMPORT LIMIT "10" POLLING INTERVAL 4 SECONDS, AUTO FOLLOW PATH TICKED,REAL TIME TRACKING ON, SAYS ITS READING USB.
I GO BACK TO PREVIOUS SCREEN "IMPORT" I CLICK ON IMPORT BUTTON, GET MESSAGE ON GOOGLE EARTH SCREEN "COULD NOT FIND DEVICE GARMIN. RESTART THE DEVICE, CHECK CONNECTIONS AND START AGAIN"
I DO THIS AND STILL GET SAME RESPONSE.
IF I GO BACK TO THE GOOGLE EARTH IMPORT SCREEN AND TICK GARMIN PVT RATHER THAN NMEA I STILL GET THE SAME "COULD NOT FIND DEVICE GARMIN. RESTART THE DEVICE, CHECK CONNECTIONS AND START AGAIN"
I DO THIS AND STILL GET SAME RESPONSE.
I HAVE DONE A SEARCH FOR WINDOWS UPDATE AND ALL IS CURRENT INCLUDING
WINDOWS 8.1 FOR X64 BASED SYSTEMS.
I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY HELP YOU CAN PROVIDE.
Category: GPS
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.
The usual Garmin Upload/Download Data Protocols are:
1. NMEA Data - A standard method of outputting position data. Garmins have an Interface setting in the GPS to enable outputting of NMEA data. When a Garmin GPS is outputting NMEA data it cannot do upload/download of waypoints, routes or tracks.
2. PVT Data - A method used by Garmin to output position data when the Interface setting in the GPS is set to Garmin mode. Significantly older Garmin models do not have the ability to output PVT data. PVT data does not include GPS satellite data so there is no way in OziExplorer to display satellite information (NMEA does supply satellite data).
3. GPX File - A standard file format for storing GPS data. Usually the GPS connects to the computer as a mass storage device (disk drive). The waypoint and track data is saved in GPX file format to the GPS (drive).
When connecting to a PC using a USB port, the DEZL device will output PVT data. The Garmin USB GPS drivers must be installed for a Garmin USB GPS to be able to transfer data. The drivers should have been supplied on CD with the GPS but is also available for download from https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=591
Try installing the USB drivers and let me know if that helps when you try using PVT again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete
I downloaded USB GPS drivers as per web site above. Restarted machine, changed settings from NMEA to Garmin PVT. I also had ticked "automatically follow the path".
The screen then said reading USB.
On the previous import screen I have ticked
Device - Garmin
Import - waypoints, tracks, routes
Output- KML tracks
Ticked altitudes to ground height.
Clicked on import and get following message "could not find device Garmin
"Restart the device, check the connections and try again"
Did that still getting same message as above.
Please advise
Thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
This sounds like a USB connection issue.
Do you have another computer that you can try connecting to?
Or a different USB cable that you could try?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried new cable, still same problem. Unfortunately will have to leave problem as I will be out of Internet range in the Western Australia desert for the next three week on gold mining.
Will get back to you if can't sort it out.
Thanks for help so far
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Ok, let me know how you get on.
You can reply back on this page when convenient.
best,
Pete.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi!

I'm just following up on your question - do you need any further assistance?

Pete.