Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

Recently bought a '79 AA5B Tiger with a GNS 430 and a

Customer Question

Recently bought a '79 AA5B Tiger with a GNS 430 and a GNS430W,and I understand the service is expired. Since I'm planning a trip from Payson,Az to Missoula Mt via Colorado and Wyoming in June, I guess I need to update the charts, so I need to know how to go about it.
I'm not too computer literate, and am a rusty (32 years since I had 450 Hrs) pilot, (up to about 60 Hrs now) I'll probably need help with the update. (Using an IPad mini)
Sincerely,
Allen
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
You will need first to try the basic update for the Garmin devices themselves and their running routines and onboard software, I think:
When dealing with an update for your Garmin device, it is best to simply download, install, and use Garmin Express.
Go to
http://software.garmin.com/en-GB/express.html
and (if you have a Windows PC) click on the big blue Download button at center bottom of the page. (If you have an Apple, click on the nearby Download for Mac link.) And download Garmin Express' installer to your computer, save it, then double-click upon it to install Garmin Express.
Then start the program, Garmin Express. Then connect your Garmin device (to the computer - usually with a USB cable). Then use Garmin Express to update your device.
After that - if the service of providing updated maps is truly expired for these two - you will need to consider your purchase options for getting maps from Garmin:
https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/support/pricing
which says, for the 430, in the US, that updated maps service costs
$150.00 for maps (worldwide) plus 49.95 for a one-time obstacles chart update.
$195.00 covers all those, as a subscription. (One-time price? it doesn't say.)
That page, once you have selected a Garmin device, will provide an
Aircraft
link that you can click to actually go about the purchasing.
I suspect that the purchasing includes the procedures for installing the updated map file(s).